Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Executive Assistant to the Regional Senior Vice President
To provide an executive office management, administrative and personal assistance service to the RSVP by leading all office operations and key regional programs, to facilitate the achievement of the RSVP’s strategic objectives.
Donations Committee Process Compliance Management
- Manage the Accra Donations Committee process for compliance.
Information Management and Management Reporting
- Pro-actively research, prepare and provide information on important trends, matters, projects or programs related to the RSVP commitments.
- Set up and maintain a database of reference materials.
- Coordinate and handle / allocate all information requests for the Office of the RSVP.
- Develop and maintain a database of contacts, sources of information for easy access and reference purposes.
- Advise RSVP on infrastructural improvements that can be made regarding information systems.
- Prepare statistical and management reports in compliance with Newmont reporting timeframe and format.
- Select or create applicable content and structure for reports.
- Operate the planning, budgeting and performance reporting systems.
Office Operations Management
- Manage the diary commitments of the RSVP and inform him / her of all booked engagements and commitments.
- Plan, schedule, arrange, organise (including logistics) and coordinate appointments, conference calls, meetings (internal and external), events, functions and other engagements, as and when required by the RSVP.
- Prepare documentation, and presentations for meetings to confirm that the RSVP and ARLT fulfil their mandates and duties.
- Coordinate local and international travel (flights, accommodation, car hire) and conferencing arrangements for the RSVP
- Screen, manage and direct all telephone calls and visitors for the Office of the RSVP and direct them to the right person / office.
- Provide correct and reliable information in consultation with staff in the Office and assist callers and visitors with general enquiries / queries.
- Sort and route incoming and outgoing correspondence, documents, mail and emails of the RSVP so that there is no backlog and items are prioritised.
- Compile documents, letters, memos, emails and design presentations as required by the RSVP.
- Prepare and distribute agendas, minutes and documentation packs of meetings.
- Provide office management services to guarantee that the Office of the RSVP has all the necessary office policies, procedures, processes and systems in place.
- Coordinate complex projects and assignments as and when requested.
Regional Management Budget and Cost Control
- Prepare the annual budget, including the forecast for all operational costs for the regional management cost centre.
- Review and track costs against the budget.
- Report deviations from the budget.
- Prepare expense reports.
- Generate requests for payment and code and enter data.
- Recommend initiatives to manage expenses more effectively.
- Prioritise and allocate tasks / responsibilities.
- Check and control the quality of work outputs.
- Provide on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching.
- Conduct the first level of performance appraisal.
- Recommend further / relevant training courses and development actions.
- Recommend salary increases or promotions for staff.
- Discipline bad performance or actions (first level of disciplinary).
- Approve leave (first signature) and
- Enhance communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings, etc.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- National Diploma or relevant First Degree in Office Administration, Business Administration or related field.
- Advanced knowledge of the protocols, communication structures, policies, procedures and practices of the office of an Executive / CEO / MD as well as the mining industry.
- Knowledge of Government protocols and protocol management.