Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Process Manager
- To strategically manage and direct the Process Operation department’s people, resources and processes to guarantee that the ore, received in large rock sizes from the Mining Operation department, are broken down into smaller sizes and extracted into the final ready for sale product (gold bars) in a safe and efficient way.
- To manage and direct the safe operation and maintenance of the processing plants (mills) and support facilities (Water Storage Facility (WSF), Tailings Storage Facility (TSF), Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) and Potable Water plant) as well as the gold recovery circuits.
- To guarantee that throughput, recovery, equipment availabilities and ounce production are achieved in a safe manner and at budgeted costs.
- To lead any projects associated with green field activities including plant startup phase.
- To develop and maintain all the necessary contacts and relationships with in-country government officials, business partners, media and community groups at all levels to foster a smooth and expeditious business program.
Health and Safety
- Become familiar with and strictly adhere to Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environmental standards. Act as a role model in complying with and supporting these standards and practices.
- Lead the Process Operation’s team to achieve the total recordable injury frequency rate (TRIFR) objective as defined by Newmont.
- Direct the department’s compliance with the requirements of Government of Ghana Agencies, lending institutions, shareholders’ interests, environmental, health and safety legislation and company safety milestones.
- Actively promote safety and demonstrate a personal commitment to safety with the belief that all accidents are preventable and continually looking for opportunities to enhance site-based safety programs.
- Eliminate fatalities by implementing critical controls and verification processes.
- Develop the Process Operation department’s business plans and initiatives, that is aligned with the Mine site’s and Africa Region’s strategy, business plans, objectives, initiatives and priorities, for a sustainable competitive advantage and submit to the Site Leadership Team (SLT) and General Manager: Ahafo for approval.
- Lead the successful delivery of the Process Operation department’s business plans and actively drive performance, inclusive of targets and operations, to guarantee medium and long-term success.
- Develop, implement and direct policies that result in optimum effectiveness, productivity and operating cost through periodic performance review sessions.
- Drive and maintain a productivity (output-driven) and continuous process improvement culture by creating an environment for the employees to challenge the status quo.
- Drive year-over-year-improvement in cost management and other critical operational performance metrics.
- Initiate technological research programmes to improve process efficiencies and to reduce costs.
- Manage the Management Operating System (MOS) on the processing plant.
- Review and approve operating budgets.
- Comply with company policy on capital spending and manage contractual obligations to achieve the best benefit for the company.
- Manage the Capital Programme for the Processing Plant.
- Determine and manage operational and production targets and guarantee the achievement of production objectives through the effective management and distribution of department supplies, equipment and manpower resources.
- Build a shared vision and goals, facilitate effective interactions among group members, and work to remove barriers.
- Manage risks (business, safety, environmental, health, etc.) impacting on the Processing Plant to the required standard / level.
- Develop the Processing plants’ work plans, monitor progress and lead the team to achieve the department’s plans and goals.
Sustainability and external relations
- Confirm that the operation is socially and environmentally responsible and verify that applicable environmental regulations and compliance programs are implemented.
- Meet public targets on water, reclamation and community tonality.
- Build and maintain cohesive, trusting and mutually respectful relationships with governments, regulators, NGOs, media, communities and industries that enhance Newmont’s reputation and enable access, favorable treatment and good citizenship.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering, Metallurgy or a related technical discipline plus a Mine Certificate of Competence issued by Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission of Ghana.
- A MBA or equivalent qualification (Optional).
- Substantial knowledge of gold mining or broader hard rock mining with an extensive understanding of regulations, permitting, risk, and projects.
- Substantial knowledge of mine design, planning and scheduling, project management and operations of large-scale sites at mining / processing facilities.
- Substantial knowledge of the wide range of infrastructure systems required to support a remote site.
- Substantial knowledge of the transition of a mine project to a start-up mine; Process start-up exposure would be a plus.
- Substantial knowledge of health and safety, sustainability and productivity improvements in the mining industry.
- Substantial knowledge in working constructively with governments, communities, NGOs and special interest groups.
- Broad business knowledge and focus, ability to recognize issues, problems and capitalize on opportunities.
- At least 15 years’ experience in a Milling / Processing Operation environment with 6 years of senior management experience with broad-based management responsibilities, which should ideally include multi-site operations (managing a large group of employees, both staff and hourly).
- Demonstrated successes in working collaboratively in multi-cultural teams in expatriate settings. Work in developing countries, specifically in West Africa preferred.
- A proven track record of delivering “safe” production.
- Leadership selection and assessment ensuring the right people are in the right roles, managing their performance through coaching/mentoring as well as taking necessary corrective actions and identifying and developing key successors.
- A solid technical background is required: operational experience remains important because the Process Manager of a site must be up to date with activities on sites and understand the risks and potential threats the sites face (must be able to stand in for the site General Manager in his absence).
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook) and
- Mining Management Operating Systems.
- Budget control and financial analysis and management skills.
- Business acumen and commercial management skills.
- Collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Conflict and change management skills.
- Contract management skills.
- Corporate governance, incident and risk management skills.
- Management, leadership, coaching and mentoring skills.
- Negotiation, networking and service management skills.
- Performance-driven management skills.
- Presentation, facilitation and consultation skills.
- Programme and project management skills.
- Strategic decision-making, problem-solving and thinking skills.
- Strategic relationship management skills.
- Analytical thinking.
- Assertive, influential and persuasive.
- Conceptualization and visionary.
- Credibility and integrity.
- Diversity management.
- Goal oriented, pro-active and reliable.
- Innovative and inspirational.
- Persistent and resilient.
- Results and quality driven / focused.
- Safety conscious.
- The position is located at Ahafo Mine site and will travel nationally to the Regional office in Accra, but on an irregular basis.
- Extended and unpredictable hours is the norm.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.