Posted on :
1 Aug, 2016
1 Aug, 2016
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont‘s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programmes in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine.
We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title:Process Metallurgist
POSITION TITLE (BCT): Metallurgist I
REPORTS TO: Regional Manager – Senior Metallurgist
JOB FAMILY: Metallurgy
To provide technical support for the Akyem operation.
This will entail the preparation and analysis of laboratory or plant samples, performing and monitoring of laboratory and plant tests and communication and reporting of results to relevant parties.
The trainee will also assist Plant Metallurgists with routine duties for example reagent management, mill liner and screen wear rate monitoring, participation in mine-to-mill initiatives and maintaining reports and KPI’s required to maintain the Processing MOS at an effective level.
Safety and Environment
• Comply with all Newmont Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental requirements.
• Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his/her supervision.
• Comply with all HSLP, Environment and Social Responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System, Newmont vision and values.
• Participate in relevant incident / accident investigations and take corrective action to prevent injury and / or re-occurrence.
• Raise, discuss and resolve safety, environmental and Social Responsibility issues at regular meetings.
• Identify potential hazards and take appropriate action.
• Technical assistance to the Akyem process operating personnel to ensure optimum metallurgical performance of the process plant by applying initiative and problem solving abilities.
• Assures compliance with established procedures and quality assurance methods
• Prepare metallurgical reports as necessary.
• Assist in the development and review of the metallurgical procedures.
• Assist Senior Metallurgist in maintaining of metallurgical accounting practices (assisting in end of month met accounting process)
• Assist the Plant Metallurgists with routine duties for example reagent management, mill liner and screen wear rate monitoring.
• Assist the Metallurgists with routine duties for example calibration of measuring devices and maintenance of sampling devices.
• Perform audits on metallurgical practices, correct and implement permanent solutions.
• Actively participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the Akyem process plant operation, including but not limited to mine-to-mill initiatives
• Accountable for completion of all tasks identified in the Processing Operations MOS Elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role
• Keeps current with mineral processing technology and the practical experiences of other operations.
• Complete training program as specified for the Metallurgical Trainee.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
The position is located at the Akyem mine site in Ghana, West Africa.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
• Vision Abilities: Requirement includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
• Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to sit at a desk from time to time, climb stairs, walk, stand and carry samples buckets around of up to 20 kg.
• Work Environment: Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc.
• Working Hours: Although the standard day shift working hours will be applicable, occasionally extended working hours, night shift or early morning shifts will be required to meet operational demand.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
• Degree/Diploma in Extractive Metallurgy or equivalent.
• High level of communication skills – verbal and written.
• High level of PC skills and computer literacy.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
• Zero Safety and Environmental incidents
Local to the Akyem area will be an added advantage.