Newmont Suriname was established in 2004 as an entity of Newmont Mining Corporation and is headquartered in Paramaribo, Suriname. Located in South America, Suriname was originally settled as a Dutch colony, is very culturally diverse and enjoys a tropical climate. The Merian Project is located approximately 60 km south of Moengo in a largely undeveloped part of the country with the nearest permanent settlement, Langa Tabiki, approximately 17 km east from the Project site. Strong support from host communities and the government of Suriname strengthens Merian’s ability to deliver safe, profitable production with significant upside potential and opportunity for employees, host communities and shareholders.
Job Title: Geostatistical Modeler
About This Role
We are looking for a committed, Geostatististical Modeler to provide efficient resource modeling technical support and leadership for operations, projects and exploration programs with the goal of producing timely and accurate resource models that deliver predictable outcomes to the business.
In This Role You Will
- Expertly generate robust Resource Models for Operations and Exploration Projects using both linear and non-linear geostatistical methods.
- Run conditional simulations to assess resource model risk factors.
- Monitor mine to mill reconciliations and provide recommendations for future model updates.
- Review drill spacing studies for resource classification.
- Verify mine to mill reconciliations are within range.
- Help define the product vision and roadmap for future releases.
- Establish and define customer requirements;provide geostatistical training and development for Resource modelling and geological staffs.
- Translate requirements into functional requirements, product improvements, and new software design.
- Provide technical support to all Newmont’s projects in Africa.
- Design and develop, execute and understand project gate requirements and support project teams.
- Coordinate Reconciliation, model kick off and handover meetings to support operations and projects.
Your Training, Skills and Experience Checklist
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in a mining related field in geology, mining engineering, geostatistics or equivalent.
- Between eight (8) to ten (10) years’ work experience in a similar role.
- The above experience must include minimum of five (5) years’ experience in Resource modeling.
- Proficiency in applied mathematics and a strong background in problem solving and 3D visualisation skills.
- Advanced degree in Geostatistics or equivalent certifications.
- Advanced knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL), scripting and 3D modelling skills.
- Outstanding background in Vulcan or MineSight softwares with proven proficiency in resource modeling required to develop surface or underground resource models.
- Ability to develop and efficiently maintain short term models on a regular basis for forecasting purposes.
- Excellent technical writing ability is required to prepare documentation in support of annual reserve and resource reporting.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, effectively plan, coordinate and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Capable computer skills in mainstream PC applications such as Excel, Access.
- Generate resource models either surface or underground for operations and projects as needed and coordinate necessary activities to achieve Newmont objectives.
- Regular travel is required.
- Extended hours may be required.