Posted on :
24 Aug, 2018
24 Aug, 2018
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Job Title: M&E Coordinator
Plan International Ghana, is looking for a dynamic and results-oriented person to fill the position of M & E Coordinator for the Rural Water and Sanitation (R-WASH) project. The position is located at the Eastern Programme Unit Office Koforidua, and reports to the Project Manager.
Project Duration: Three (3) Years Fixed Term Contract
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
• Ensures that project results are achieved and reported on through the project’s M&E system
Supports Project Manager to facilitate the design, work planning and management of the RWASH Project in Schools and Communities in the Eastern and Volta Regions.
• Under the direction of Project Manager, ensures that Community Facilitators assist the partner NGOs and Community volunteers in the coordination, planning and delivery of all RWASH Project related M&E activities.
• Ensures that relevant information regarding M&E, including any Terms of Reference for Baselines and End lines are discussed with Project Manager and shared with the CO MER Specialist, and that sufficient time is included in planning to allow all relevant partners to input.
• With support from MER Specialist, ensures that all the reviews, studies, researches and the evaluations planned for the fiscal year (FY) are implemented to support the RWASH project.
• Ensures that the consultants recruited for MER provide good quality results (support in verifying the methodology, the relevance of the tools, and the quality of the report submitted) and value for money.
• In coordination with the CO M&E Specialist and the WASH Specialist liaises with NO WASH Advisor in initiating and finalising the data collection tools when necessary for the RWASH project to support timely MER activities
• With support from M&E Specialist and Training Specialist, provide trainings on M&E and data collection tools (including MIS) to implementing partners and other relevant stakeholders.
• Set up and maintains information system for the RWASH project and ensure quality MIS data collections
• Supports the Project Coordinator to prepare all donor required reports in a quality and timely manner.
• Ensures that the deadlines to submit the reports for the RWASH project are respected
• Ensures that reports are disseminated/ distributed as practically appropriate to partners, communities and all relevant stakeholders.
• Ensures that best practices and lessons learnt are documented and shared for learning.
• Supports institutional learning and facilitate experience sharing within the PU and at the national level.
• Considers best practices and lessons learnt in the quarterly and other reports to support program quality
• Puts in place a mechanism to collect best practices and lessons learnt from the programme implementation
• Contributes to update the program strategies from the lessons learnt and best practices
• Supports Project staff with the development of monitoring tools and their usage to support quality monitoring
• Ensures Gender is mainstreamed in all RWASH related activities and maintain gender sensitivity toward staff and Plan associates to avoid gender discrimination.
• Ensures Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), Child Protection and Gender is well integrated in all project training activities.
• Fulfils Plan’s Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy at all times to ensure children are protected from all forms of abuse.
• Performs any other duties to be assigned to support the achievement of organizational goals.
Dealing with Problems:
Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them
Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) are crucial components for ensuring high quality outcomes and impact in rights based programming. Barriers that the Project based MER Officer will have to deal with include:
• Many staff have insufficient knowledge regarding planning, monitoring, evaluation and research processes.
• The quality and availability of secondary data from programmes and projects makes planning, monitoring and evaluations challenging.
• The monitoring budget is often integrated in the running costs of projects and program which lead to insufficient resource allocations to monitoring and feedback processes.
• Most data collection is done using pen and paper methods meaning inefficiencies and data reliability issues
Communications and Working Relationships:
• Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
Communications and Working Relationships
• High level contact: Internal: the Project level program team and the other members of the MER unit;
• Medium level contact: the Project operations team, the CO based technical advisors;
• Low level contact: Country Management Team (CMT), CO level operations
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Demography, Measurement, Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation, Development Studies, Social Sciences or other relevant field.
• At least 3 years experience in program planning, monitoring, evaluation or research
• Knowledge of RWASH and other WASH related programming in the development sector is an advantage
• At least 3 years experience working with INGOs and managing a donor related funded project
• In-depth knowledge of the processes, procedures and systems in project planning, management, monitoring and evaluation.
• Skills for the design, entry, analysis of excel tables, access as well as for Microsoft word and PowerPoint
• Experience of SAP, an advantage
• Experience in community based and child friendly monitoring and evaluation practices
• Solid writing skills (report writing etc.)
• Ability to deliver to tight deadlines
• Good active listening and group facilitation skills
• Committed to respecting deadlines
• Good listening capacity
• Able to make effort for adaptability
• Strong Team spirit
• Be proactive and being able to anticipate