Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.
Plan International Ghana is looking for an Accountant/Admin Specialist who will support financial monitoring and accounts maintenance and also take on the Admin function for a project titled “Women’s Voice and Leadership – Ghana”. The project will support local women’s rights organizations with grants and capacity development to strengthen their organizational development, programming and advocacy, and sustainability. It will further support collaboration and collective action to advance gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls. The project will have a national reach, however specifically target some regions of Ghana. The project started in April 2019, has a duration of five years, and a budget of over $3 million EUR.
Job Title: Accounts/ Admin Specialist
Dimensions of Role:
Financial measures or statistics relevant to post such as budget; list of direct and indirect reports
- Controls and monitor the Project budget of 4.8 Canadian dollars.
- Area of Responsibility –Women’s Voice and Leadership Project
Typical Responsibilities – Key End Results of Position:
“What” is done and “why”, but not “how”; include indicators for success
Please state why each activity is done and the indicators for success
Prepares financial and other reports to aid the preparation of the overall Women’s Voices and Leadership (WVL) project financial reports for dissemination and decision making. To do this, the position holder:
- Ensure that project transactions are reviewed and correctly entered into SAP on timely basis;
- Provides quarterly, year-end and other grants financial reports and analyses as per required instructions for management decisions making;
- Ensure proper filing ( electronic and hard copy ) of grants financial reports;
- Assists the Project Manager in the preparation of quarterly and year-end financial schedules of the project;
- Consolidates and submit monthly community and partner visits reports received from Project Staff;
- Review project sub-ledger for all advances and prepaid expenses and follows up on outstanding advances;
- Monitors and reviews advance liquidation.
Budget preparation and Budgetary Control Support for the effective implementation of the WVL project financial plan. To do this, the position holder will:
- Be In charge of the preparation of the Project annual budget;
- Monitor project budget and modify when necessary;
- Consolidate monthly project budget and Financial Report;
- Maintain a budgetary control system to monitor grant budget vs. Expenditure and advise management on variances and corrective actions required to be taken;
- Respond to grants financial queries in liaison with the Country Finance Manager (CFM), Business Development Manager and the Project Manager;
- Train/coach partner finance staff in delivery of job requirements to support grants compliance and financial reporting;
- Ensure Partner liquidation and financial reports are properly reviewed before further funds are advanced;
- Create standard report template for Plan’s partners to ensure consistency in reporting;
- Ensure compliance with best practices and donor specific requirements by WROs/Sub-grantees.
Coordinates Cash Forecasting for the WVL project to ensure the availability of funds for project operations. To do this, the position holder will:
- Promptly transfer funds to project bank account and ensure effective cash flow management;
- Ensure Project bank account and cash balances never go negative by following up in a timely manner.
Operates the Plan International Operations software to meet Plan’s or GAC spending and financial reporting requirement. To do this, the position holder will:
- Submit monthly cash forecast to the Country Accountant;
- Ensure that all approved project budget account lines- Donor account line together with subsequent modifications are accurate in SAP
- Undertake checks to ensure that all transactions are accurately entered into SAP.
- Review and manage recharges within country project budgets
- Ensure that SAP Monthly reports are printed and signed off.
- Analyse project balance especially expenses account after closure and effect the necessary corrections with the support of the Project Manager
Implement Internal Financial Controls and Payment Processes for the attainment of value for money at all times. To do this, the position holder will:
- Prepare the weekly payment list based on the approved cash forecast requirement;
- Project payments made as per approved policies and procedures;
- Review all the vouchers for completeness and documentation and arithmetic accuracy.
- Ensure cheques are not issued if they do not form part of the weekly payment list, exceptions should be approved by the Country Finance Manager
- Prepare project Financial audit action list after each audit ensure its compliance
- Monitor and submit quarterly report on project financial risks
- Visit WROs and their locations at least once a quarter to provide the needed technical support to WRO finance teams
- Keep CFM informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to job responsibilities
- Fulfils Plan International’s Safeguarding Policy at all times to protect Children and the Youth from all forms of abuse
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the achievement of the WVL Project Goals
Dealing with Problems: Complexity of problems handled and the degree of investigation, analyses and creative thinking required to solve them.
This includes how much freedom the position has to make decisions eg “Risk Management”.
Ensure strict adherence to the WVL project’s internal controls and GAC requirements as per the Operations Manual and local Procurement and other organisational Policies and Procedures to minimise risks to the project and organisation
- Coaching and training of Staff and WROs in the implementation of financial practices
- Works with minimum supervision
- Analyse financial issues for decision making and refer to a higher Manager for approval
Communications and Working Relationships:
Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
High level contact with all WVL project team (CO and CNO), Programme Unit Finance staff as well as Country Office Finance Staff for smooth implementation of the finance and accounting functions.
Medium level contact with WROs to ensure Plan International receives value for money and the financial requirements are adhered to
Medium level contact: Maintains low contact with other staff from the Program Unit and country offices to offer support for compliance with finance and accounting procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviours, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Gained through education, training, & experience
Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in Accounting plus ICA Ghana part 2 or ACCA Foundation ( Level 2) or its equivalent
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Knowledge in SAP Accounting software would be an added advantage
- Show strong understanding and knowledge of Cash Flows, Budgetary Controls and Compliance with Finance Controls.
- Fair knowledge in Project Management.
Demonstrated behaviours needed by the postholder to successfully perform the role:
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Ability to facilitate a Participative processes
- Commitment to working transparently and with integrity.
- Independence, Objectivity and integrity.
- Organized, Methodic and Meticulous
- Develops, motivates and coaches others.
- Promotes innovation and learning
- Gains, develops and retains credibility about his/her performance
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Committed to respecting deadlines
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice.
- Demonstrable experience in managing multimillion-dollar institutional grants through donors such as Global Affairs Canada, USAID, DFID and European Union.
- Financial Reporting Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Good Team Player
- Good Negotiating, Facilitating and Influencing Skills
- Knowledge in relevant accounting software and proficient in Microsoft applications especially Excel and Pivot tables, PowerPoint
- Good Communication Skills ( both oral and written skills)
- Self-starter takes initiative and works with minimal direct supervision.
- Good Accounting, Analytical and Judgement Skills
- Good Supervisory and Coordination Skills
- Flexible, able to shift directions quickly and occasionally work long hours to meet tight reporting deadlines.
Physical Environment and Demands:
May be “typical office environment”; note if heavy lifting, climbing, excess travel, etc.
This post holder will be stationed in the Country Office in Accra with regular travel (approximately 30% of time) to project locations where women’s rights organizations operate.
Level of Contact with Children:
Responsibilities of this job require a low level of contact with children. Plan International’s global policy on safeguarding children and young people will be adhered to at all times.