At Pula, we are radically restructuring agricultural insurance, using technology to insure the previously unbanked, uninsured, untapped market of 1.5 billion smallholders worldwide.
We work in over 14 countries across Africa and Asia, and by 2021, we have facilitated crop insurance cover to over 6 million farmers across Kenya, India, Rwanda, Uganda, Nigeria, Mali, Senegal, Zambia, Ethiopia, Madagascar, Tanzania, and Malawi. Since raising our Series A, our operations have expanded globally including now Asia and Latin America.
Job Title: Field Associate Manager
We are a for-profit and have raised over $10 million from leading venture and institutional investors as well as developed philanthropic relationships with private foundations and bilateral donors such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and German Insure Resilience Solutions Fund that have accelerated investments in our target markets.
Pula is fast-paced, constantly adapting to new opportunities and challenges. We are a high-performance, multi-cultural team. We expect our team to value performance, results and professionalism.
At Pula, we are:
- Obsessed with results: We are responsible for our future and therefore we get things done!
- Connect the Dots: We continuously identify different customer needs & business problems and build solutions that deliver value.
- Have a Can do Attitude! We dare to do things differently to make things work.
- We have each others’ back: We look out for each other & we share high quality, timely feedback that makes us better.
What you will be doing:
Every year, Pula runs a series of operational activities including farmer sensitization campaigns, training of clients and crop cut experiments (a survey designed to measure the yield of different crops).
Pula is seeking the services of an experienced Field Associate Manager in Ghana who will be responsible for overseeing and executing all the operational activities within the country, The ideal candidate learns quickly, is results driven, has experience managing teams and field operations projects, project management, and shifting comfortably between strategy and execution.
- Data collection and data management: that is, refining the study design and survey instruments, overseeing and monitoring data collection exercises using the Business Intelligence dashboard and assisting with data quality queries.
- Participate in field staff recruitment; select, assign, coach, counsel and discipline employees.
- Management of Senior Field Coordinators and Field Coordinators.
- Conducting training for field staff i.e. enumerators, Senior Field Coordinators, and Field Coordinators.
- Conducting clients’ training, mobilization/workshops.
- Management and support for crop cut exercises.
- Management and support for yield index insurance pay-outs, if necessary.
- Coordination with client field staff and insurance auditors.
- Escalating issues experienced in the field.
- Help to go to the field to diagnose issues when required.
- Prepare projects’ budgets, recordkeeping for expenses and reconciliation against the budget for each project.
- Help with internal data audits when required.
- Handling and resolving customer complaints from farmers and stakeholders as needed.
- Assisting in product launches when required.
- Identify good performers, and transparently and honestly report on non-performing staff.
- Clear and consistent communication up and down the reporting lines.
- Any other duties as requested by management
Who you are:
- At least a BSc degree in Project Management, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness or a degree in a Business/ Management related field.
- At least 3 years of work experience working with clients, project teams, farmers, field teams and agro-dealers.
- Experience in data collection and data management.
- Skills to interact with clients, farmers, field teams and agro-dealers.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multicultural environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to work and communicate in English and local dialect
- Intermediate Spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets) skills is an added advantage
Some more expectations:
- Our team is deeply field based. We hire from the areas that we are working, rather than focusing on hiring only from capital cities or major metropolitan areas.
- The individuals best suited for these positions are those who are comfortable speaking in relevant local languages and moving around rural areas.
- Everyone needs to be able to work “on the go”: staff are expected to call into conference calls multiple times a week, and to submit communications on email and other mediums throughout the week. While it is difficult to keep a phone and other devices charged while working in rural areas, the best employees plan their movements well enough to ensure being in contact at the right times.