Posted on :
23 Jan, 2018
23 Jan, 2018
The Resiliency in Northern Ghana (RING) is a 5-year integrated project funded by the USAID Feed the Future (FtF) Initiative and that ends on 10 June 2019 and is designed to contribute to Government of Ghana (GoG) efforts to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the nutritional status of vulnerable populations. The goal of RING is to improved livelihoods and nutritional status of vulnerable households in the Northern region of Ghana.
Job Title: Accountant II
Job Location: Tamale, Ghana
Reporting Relationship: Accountant reports to Finance Manager
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Accountant provides accounting and financial services for the project in the areas of disbursement, financial record keeping, reporting, budgeting, monitoring, and review. The Accountant is aware of, and adheres to Global Communities procurement integrity standards in all activities.
Accounting & Finance
• Ensure monthly payment of paychecks and deductions, ensure deposit of payroll to the employees’ respective bank accounts.
• Review and enquiry the consistency in different financial documents: the travel authorization, travel advance request, travel reports and travel advance liquidation.
• Create payment vouchers; write vouchers and prepare checks to the attention of the direct supervisor.
• Verify accuracy of vouchers and invoices for petty cash, conduct the surprise petty-cash control, and create vouchers and checks for replenishment of petty cash.
• Prepare VAT relief letters/forms to submit to USAID and ensure a proper filing system.
• Implement standard Global Communities procedures to manage and monitor the financial resources of the project office. This includes: ensuring that all payments comply with Global Communities rules and regulations and are supported by adequate documentation
• Process all payables and receivables including creating payment vouchers and preparing checks after perusing the accuracy.
• Ensure that all paid invoices agree with supporting documentation, including price quotes, selection memos, EPLS (terrorist checks), purchase requests, purchase orders and delivery notes and ensure that all costs have adequate prior authorization and approval
• Ensure the accurate and timely bank reconciliation (USD and Cedis ledgers in QuickBooks) and provide reconciliation documents for approval.
• Enter transactions (pay checks, direct transfers, deposits, bank charges, etc.) in accounting system (QuickBooks) and ensure charge codes are appropriate.
• Maintain current standing with all mandated tax including submission of payments and required reports.
• Ensure audit compliance utilizing principles of audit and performance.
• Understand and articulate the basic doctrines of Internal Control and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles to other staff members.
• Perform any duty assigned by the direct supervisor or other financial senior leaders.
• Avoid conflict of interest or perception of conflict of interest.
• Contribute to realization of the Mission of Global Communities.
• Respect Global Communities values as they pertain to financial management.
• Respect procedures established for the good of the office
• Perpetuate the good reputation of Global Communities.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelors’ Degree in Accounting (Major)
• Experience of at least 5 years as an Accountant and the understanding of key aspects of accounting. Experience with U.S. government projects preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel spreadsheets, or comparable software.
• Knowledge of the QuickBooks accounting software is preferred.
• Demonstrate good judgment and sound financial “common sense”.
• Ability to create and monitor budgets. Understanding of the basic tenets of Cash Control, Asset Management and Bank Reconciliation.
• Understand the principals of adequate documentation and of audit, and performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
• Advanced written and verbal proficiency in English including business terminology.
• Team work, flexibility, proactive and positive attitude plus being a collaborative team playera must.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their applications and CVs to: [email protected] Note: we encourage applicants to use Job Title in the “Subject Line” of the email
Closing Date: 26 January, 2018