Posted on :
27 Feb, 2018
27 Feb, 2018
Right To Play is a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease and poverty. Established in 2000, Right To Play has pioneered a unique play-based approach to learning and development which focuses on quality education, life skills, health, gender equality, child protection and building peaceful communities. With programming in 18 countries, Right To Play transforms the lives of more than one million children each week, both inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to our work with children, Right To Play advocates with parents, local communities, and governments to advance the fundamental rights of all children.
Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Our programs are facilitated by more than 550 international staff and 15,800 local volunteer Coaches.The Africa Regional Office located in Kampala, Uganda, supports 8 country offices including; Burundi, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali, Mozambique, Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania.
The Ghana Country Office is currently seaching for a qualified and self-driven candidate to join a team of professionals in Ghana as
Job Title: Human Resources Officer.
The Human Resources Officer reports directly to the Country Director (CD) and technically to the Manager, Human Resources (MHR) at Right To Play Headquarters, Toronto. His/her main role is to help and enable the management of the human resources, establish and maintain transparent and objective systems that attract and retain talent, motivate staff to perform effectively, build trust, facilitate the capacity building and development of employees and ensure that the compensation system is effectively implemented into the country.
Job Responsibility #1: Staffing, recruitment and selection (20% of Time):
• Develops and implements recruitment strategies for the efficient and timely hiring and placement of employees; provides guidance to hiring managers on job reviews and development of job descriptions.
• Prepares and circulates vacancy announcements, develops assessment tools, evaluates applications, arranges and participates in interviews and makes recommendations to the CD; prepares job offers for successful candidates.
• Collects references, conduct reference checks and notifies candidates about the results of the selection process.
• Reviews and recommends level of remuneration for new hiring.
• Prepares job offers and related documentation.
• Facilitates and participates in employee orientation; schedules Meet and Greet with key employees; facilitates office arrangements and supports supervisors in the orienting of new employees into the organization and role.
• Coordinates the placement of interns and volunteers and administers their related issues.
• Designs, coordinates and provides relevant statistical information and data on country recruitment activities, gender analysis and provides information to interested groups regarding employment opportunities.
• Communicates with other staff and HQ HR of any new hires or position changes.
Job Responsibility #2: Compensation and total rewards (15% of Time):
• Administers and provides advice to staff and management on salary and related benefits, health insurance, life insurance, employee’s old age benefits (EOBI) and other entitlements.
• Oversees the administration of benefits programs within the country including the enrolment of benefits for eligible employees and the removal of departed ones.
• Keeps abreast with the latest development in employment related laws in the country; ensures that RTP complies with all Government statutory regulations and recommends changes to benefits and entitlements on the basis of local labour laws.
• Conducts job analysis exercises and develops job description; makes recommendations in respect of organization structures and ensures that organization structures are up to date and communicates any changes to HQ.
• Supports salary and entitlement surveys.
• Liaises with HR service suppliers and insurance company regarding employees’ benefits.
Job Responsibility #3: Payroll and HR information management (15% of Time):
• Completes payroll related information and ensures all information are accurate and communicated on time to Finance Officer and HR HQ.
• Manages HR database to ensure up-to-date and accurate information is reflected.
• Maintains HR Metrics compilation and reporting such as headcount, turnover and vacation.
• Conducts annual country HR Audits to ensure accurate and up to date HR information and documentation.
• Ensures strict confidentiality with respect to all HR file management and correspondences.
• Prepares special reports and participates and/or leads HR projects.
Job Responsibility #4: Employee relation and employee services ( 15 %):
• Monitors and manages employee relations issues, maintains confidential records related to grievances and complaints and coordinates their resolution; conducts investigations and liaises with legal consultants to resolve cases when needed.
• Ensures transparent, fair and consistent application of disciplinary measures.
• Reviews and provides advice on policies that would prevent recurring conflicting situations.
• Provides information, interpretation and advice on Right To Play’s HR policy, local employment law to staff and management.
• Oversees administration of all employee status changes such as promotion, transfers or terminations.
• Reviews and provides advice on interpretation of HR policies, regulations and rules; informs staff of their rights, responsibilities, code of conduct, sexual exploitation and harassment policies and difficulties associated with work and entitlements.
• Provides advice on safety and security issues to country employees as well as other RTP global teams visiting the country.
• Designs and implements a comprehensive communication plan whereby the employees are kept abreast of issues related to HR matters.
Job Responsibility #5: Performance appraisals, training and development (10% of Time):
• Facilitates the implementation of RTP performance appraisal system; ensures that managers are equipped with the necessary skills to conduct probationary evaluations and annual appraisals.
• Supports the supervisors in determining training needs of their team, discuss those needs with the CD and assists him/her in determining appropriate staff development plans.
• Coordinates with the Training Officer(s) regarding employee training and oversees the delivery of training and development programs and employee mobility programs to build the capacity of the country team.
• Evaluates effectiveness and impact of staff development and career support programs and recommends ways to enhance effectiveness and impact.
Job Responsibility #6: HR planning, policies implementation (10% of Time):
• Provides strategic advice and supports the CD, participates in the preparation and development of a yearly HR plan and oversees its implementation.
• Participates in the budget process, monitors HR financial performance and coordinates with Grant Administrator, HQ to ensure alignment with the approved budget.
• Provides support for project team in preparing project budget related to HR.
• Participates in the implementation of the HR strategy to ensure alignment with RTP strategy and recommends adjustments to HR policies, procedures and processes based on the requirements of local labour laws ensuring that legislative requirements are fulfilled.
• Stays abreast of developments in various areas of HR and shares information with the CD.
Job Responsibility #7: General HR/office administration (10% of Time):
• Oversees the logistics functions to ensure compliance with RTP financial management and procurement procedures; acts as a member of the procurement committee and verifies logistical transactions.
• Supervises the Logistics Assistant in performing the required responsibilities and provides the necessary coaching and guidance and completes the performance appraisal as well.
• Participates in INGO/NGO forums to share information on the subject.
• Process accounts payable memos for suppliers and internal claims/ reimbursements, wire transfer requests, and expense reports as required.
Job Responsibility #8: Performs Other Duties (5% of Time):
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Master’s degree in business/public administration or related discipline.
• 5 years’ experience in human resources management with I/NGOs.
• Knowledge and understanding of local employment standards, occupational health & safety and human rights legislation.
• Strong MS office and the ability to use technology to collaborate across a global organization.
• Knowledge of principles and procedures for staff recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, job design, labour relations and negotiation, and Human Resources Information Systems
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Asset to have):
• Master’s degree in business/public administration or related discipline.
• Ability to support multi-cultural staff.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and foster trust and respect.
• Self-motivated and highly organized, detail oriented.
• Flexible, comfortable with deadlines and able to work well under pressure.
• Exhibit a desire to support a large number of people.
• Comfortable with ambiguity; ability to analyze the situation and come up with solutions.
• Ability to maintain a fair balance between seeking the interests of the staff and safeguarding the principles and integrity of the organization.
• Ability to take an impartial stand on HR issues and recommend courses of action.
• Strong team player.
• Good facilitation skills
• Ability to travel locally and internationally is required
• Ability to legally work in Ghana, without sponsorship.
Note: The successful candidate will be employed as a local staff member of Ghana. Compensation and benefits will follow the local package. This is not an international position.
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
Employment Start Date: Immediately
Contract Duration: Long term engagement based on performance and availability of funds
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected] and kindly include “Human Resources Officer” and your name in the subject line. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Closing Date: 09 March, 2018
Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs