Posted on :
15 Aug, 2018
15 Aug, 2018
The Rural Enterprises Programme (REF) is part of the Government of Ghana’s (GOG) effort to reduce poverty and improve living conditions in rural areas by improving infrastructure, technologies and skills needed for private sector development. The REP has been designed to upscale nationwide, the successful achievements of Rural Enterprises Project Phases I and II (REP-I & REF-II).
Job Title: Enable Youth Officer
REF has 4 main components, namely:
• Business Development Services;
• Development of Agricultural Commodity Processing Infrastructure
• Creation of Enabling Business Environment and
• Programme Coordination and Management.
REP is currently being implemented in 161 districts nationwide. The Programme is co-financed by the Government of Ghana (GOG), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and African Development Bank (AfDB). A Programme Coordination and Management Unit (PCMU) has been established in Kumasi to oversee the day-to-day activities of the REP.
A major concern of youth unemployment in Ghana is the rising proportion of graduate unemployment. This situation is partly due to the mismatch of skills acquired by the youth vis-a-vis what is required by the Job market and weak support systems for entrepreneurship and small-scale business development for self-employment. The ENABLE Youth initiative is intended to contribute to address this challenge through additional efforts by REP in the establishment and growth of viable agribusinesses. Such businesses will have the potential to create employment by offering a comprehensive and integrated package of training in agribusiness, financing, and ongoing coaching/mentoring, building partnership with the private sector, business and professional associations and training institutions. The ENABLE Youth initiative is well in line with Government Industrial Transformation Agenda and will contribute to strengthen the linkages between the agriculture, industry and services sectors of the economy.
Qualified and Experienced Staff is urgently required to fill one vacant position stated below at the PCMU in Kumasi, All PCMU appointments are Contract-based and reviewed yearly or as otherwise stated. Continuity of Contract will be based on acceptable annual performance rating and also the need for the specific expertise at the PCMU at the time. Staff will be expected to travel extensively in the country.
Vacant Position: Enable Youth Officer (i.e. Empowering Novel Agribuiness Led Employment for Youth Officer)
• Working under the direct supervision of the National Director, the ENABLE Youth Officer (EYO) leads in the technical implementation of the Empowering Novel Agribusiness Led Employment for Youth (ENABLE Youth) sub-component of the Rural Enterprises Programme (REP) , The EYO leads in the planning, implementation and follow-up of all the sub-component activities. Working with the Business Development Services (BDS) and Technology Promotion and Dissemination component teams, the position also contributes to the development and implementation (If the overall Programme implementation strategies, arrangements and guidelines.
• The ENABLE Youth Officer will be responsible for the achievement of the sub-component core objectives, through its activity implementation in the agriculture and agribusiness sector targeted at tertiary graduates to start, manage and sustain businesses for employment creation.
• Details of specific responsibilities of the position will be included in a contract on appointment
Generally, applicants should meet the following basic criteria.
• Functional computer proficiency in MS Office and the Internet
• Previous experience with Donor Funded Systems will be an advantage.
Qualification Required & Experience
Qualification Required, Experience and Job Requirements
• A minimum of a Master’s degree in Agribusiness.
• Development Studies, Business Administration, Economics or other relevant field.
• A Certificate or Diploma in business incubation management or relevant training in agribusiness value chains development is added advantage
• A minimum of 5 years post-qualification working
• experience in an operational position or business incubation programmes coordination and management
• Knowledge of business and project management principles and practices involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources.
• Capacity to be original and creative in rural community environments
• Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the Programme
• Functional computer proficiency in MS-Office and the Internet
• Must be a good team player
• Ready to travel extensively in the country
• Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Applications for the above position, including CVs and copies of relevant certificates should be submitted to the following address The National Director Rural Enterprises Programme Grains Board Premises, off the Lake Rood P.O. Box 6841, Kumasi
Closing Date: 16 August, 2018 Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted and invited for interview.