The Sabre Trust is a partnership between two independent but linked charities, registered in the UK with the Charity Commission and in Ghana with the Department of Social Welfare. We work in southern Ghana to improve the futures of poor and marginalised children.
Through ten years of grassroots work in rural schools and a long term relationship with the Ghana Education Service, the kindergarten sector has emerged as our priority intervention area. Kindergarten represents the start of formal education for 4 and 5 year old children, and the sector faces a number of challenges including poor learning environments and weak teacher capacity. Our Brighter Futures Programme provides an innovative and carefully considered response to these challenges, delivered through Building Better Schools and providing Transformational Teacher Training.
Our mission is to give young Ghanaians the best possible start to their education, enabling them to achieve their full academic potential and contribute to Ghana’s future economic development.
Our vision is an education system where all children in Ghana are engaged in active and play-based learning, which equips them with the skills and knowledge they need to progress through primary and junior high school and complete their basic education. This will help to bring about a critical shift in mind-set amongst teachers and pupils at all levels of the Ghana education system.
Job Title: Human Resources And Administration Manager
SABRE CHARITABLE TRUST GHANA, a charity partnering with the Ghana Education Service to give young Ghanaians the best possible start to their education, enabling them to achieve their full academic potential and contribute to Ghana’s future economic development, is looking for a dynamic and self-motivated Human Resources and Administration Manager to be located at Elmina, Central Region
Reporting to the Country Director, the Human Resources and Administration Manager is responsible for implementing decisions, policies, systems and procedures on human resources, procurement, information technology, and administrative functions of Sabre Charitable Trust Ghana (SCTGH) operations with guidance and direction of the Country Director
- Responsible for the adaptation and implementation of organisational policies, procedures, and systems for the management of human resources and administration (procurement, transportation, security) for SCTGH operations
- Responsible for integrating and adapting IT policies for SCTGH implementation, overseeing out-sourced IT support to ensure hardware and software is kept up to date, and ensuring effective security systems and internet connectivity are in place, as well as implementing disaster recovery plans
- Serve as advisor to the Country Director on updated laws and regulations governing NGOs in the areas of HR and administrative matters, and take initiatives to ensure compliance by SCTGH
- Facilitate transport arrangements for traveling staff to and from the airport including any accommodation that may be required
- Functional leadership for the development of security policies, guidelines and standard operating procedures for SCTGH. Serves as secondary to the Country Director as focal person on all staff and visitors security and emergency issues in-country
- Responsible for management and maintenance oversight of organisational equipment and facilities (vehicles, office machines, buildings etc)
- Responsible for all office related procurement and the supervision of security staff
- Ensure compliance with all legal employment obligations in line with existing local labour and other related laws; ensure that Anti-bribery, child protection, whistleblower, ethics, equal opportunity and conflict of interest policies are updated, communicated to and observed by all staff, arranging staff training as required
- Responsible for oversight in SCTGH recruitment processes. In consultation with the Country Director and line managers, confirm appointments and ensure optimal candidate selection
- Lead induction of new staff on organizational policies, procedures and overview. Link with line managers for function-related induction.
- Leadership and oversight for employee relations matters; ensure compliance with employee grievance, disciplinary and performance management procedures and policies
- Provide support in the implementation of remuneration programs and policies, provide analysis and recommendations for benefits and compensation within the scope of existing policy and legal requirements
- Build the capacity of SCTGH HR and Administration teams by ensuring staff receive the necessary competence through training and capacity building initiatives, individually or in groups
- Responsible for the compilation and updating of SCTGH staff records and assets inventory on a regular basis
Required Skills or Experience
- University degree in HR/business administration or relevant discipline or equivalent relevant work experience
- 5+ years’ experience in an office administration and or/ human resources capacity, preferably with an international NGO
- Demonstrated prior experience in a management role
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English
- Excellent understanding of office administration practices and staff contract negotiation
- Prior experience in human resources management
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications such as powerpoint, excel, MS word
- Excellent planning, organisational and problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks at the same time, work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong confidentiality ethic, demonstrate flexibility, and versatility in adjusting to changing environments and requirements as necessary
- Demonstrate high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their application form, CV, contact phone numbers, active email addresses and, names and addresses of 3 referees to
The Country Director,
House No. 6, Elmina Construction Pioneers,
Cape Coast – Takoradi Highway, Elmina
or by email to
[email protected] clearly stating ‘Application for HR & Admin Manager’ as the subject of the email or letter.
NB our Safer Recruitment Policy means we can only accept applications using the prescribed form – the application form can be downloaded here: http://sabretrust.org/downloads/HRAM_Application_Form.doc
In keeping with Sabre’s equal opportunities policy, female applicants are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing date for applications is Monday 11th July 2016