We are the world’s leading satellite operator with over 70 satellites in two different orbits, Geostationary Orbit (GEO) and Medium Earth Orbit (MEO). We provide a diverse range of customers with global video distribution and data connectivity services through two business units: SES Video and SES Networks. Our global team works collaboratively to make a significant, and often a life-changing difference in the world. As part of our team, you will play an integral part in delivering on our vision. At SES, we connect and enable broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers, and enrich the lives of billions of people worldwide.
Job Title: Technical Coordinator
Ghana – Accra
ROLE DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The “Technical Coordinator” participates actively in the establishment and maintenance of a future DTH television broadcast service in Ghana driven by a global company playing a significant role in the telecommunications market of contributing and distributing television transport streams by satellite and other network infrastructure.
The “Technical Coordinator” links comprehensive knowledge regarding the architecture of DTH broadcast platforms with a sense to develop solutions tailored to the local market demands and preferences of people in Ghana. The primary duties and responsibilities are to arrange the local technical operational tasks necessary to run our broadcast platform, support with and clarification of Set-Top Box (STB) related issues, communicate with contributors and distributors of television transport streams, operators and system engineers, do some extensive testing for quality assurance purposes, write some reports in English language and finally verify the local reach of our future television broadcast service in Ghana in order to turn it into success.
The position holder should be open-minded, likes to communicate, should have a profound understanding of technological systems and should be eager to engage in a local team of broadcast professionals and will act as a problem solver interfacing with global teams in Germany and Luxembourg.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / KEY RESULT AREAS
Coordinate the local technical operational tasks necessary to run our broadcast platform
- Gain detailed knowledge about our future broadcast platform solution
- Coordination of technical set up of new TV channels
- Clarify technical requirements with TV channel operators
- Coordinate encoder installation at the premises of TV channel operators
- Arrange upgrade of headend capacity, if required
- Manage interfacing with all other technological and non-technological departments
- Coordination of operational support of encoders at premises of TV channel operators
- Continuously check of platform capacity in total and remaining system capacity
- Planning and coordination of up- and downscaling of system capacity
- Technical support of TV channel operators, developers of backend and frontend system components, consumer electronics distributors and of a call centre
- Support of partners to interface with a CRM system
- Able to maintain product, subscriber and payment data in a CRM system
- Interface with third parties regarding CRM system maintenance
- Interface with third parties regarding USSD service maintenance
- Interface with third parties regarding maintenance of payment services
- Technical support with and clarification of Set-Top Box (STB) related issues in the market
- Test of Set-Top Boxes against the encrypted DVB platform
- Assist a call centre in Set-Top Box related processes
- Technical support with and clarification of OVP / OTT related issues in the market
Being the interface between platform operations and solution development
- Communicate to solution development team in Germany and other internal departments
- Interface with solution development team in order to coordinate the rollout of new platform features
- Continuous testing of existing and new platform services
- Provide feedback about operational status to development teams
- Collect feedback from end-consumer market and partners (e.g. consumer electronic distributors) concerning technological issues and usability of our services and products
- Support in solving edge cases concerning the CRM system and its processes
- Profound competences in understanding technological problems by breaking it apart into component pieces and organising it in a logical way whilst grasping the complexities and perceiving relationships among issues.
- Sense to grasp new information quickly while ensuring understanding and eagerness to transform the information for communication with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Ability to set priorities on a well-reasoned basis and present alternative solutions as necessary.
- Will to articulate and explain own position and perspective.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- University degree in some field of engineering like Media Technologies or equivalent
- Experienced professional in the broadcast or telecommunications industry in Ghana
- Profound skills in solving technological issues and willing to communicate
- Having endurance and eager to learn quickly
- Good skills in speaking and writing English
- Other West African languages like Ga or Akan are a plus as well as speaking German
- Willingness to travel in Ghana and abroad
- Being creative and open minded would be beneficial
Closing Date : 31st May, 2020