Report to the Laboratory Manager
Job Title: Chemist
- Running a shift to ensure production and quality goals are met.
- Issuing stock during shift
- Driving the use of PPE, safe work practices and good housekeeping during shift work
- Sending preliminary reports to client.
- Troubleshooting and doing routine maintenance on the equipments in the instrument room
- Lead by example in all ways and advise subordinates of job hazards.
- Ensure all staff wear the required PPE at all times
- Monitor Fire Assay staff to ensure correct hygiene procedures followed
- Conduct pre-shift safety meetings and report back to Management
- Ensure a high standard of housekeeping is maintained, including instruments
- Ensure SGS and Newmont Safety procedures implemented and followed
- Report ALL accidents and incidents to Management
- Actively participate in activities and supervise shift to monitor productivity and ensure client turnaround requirements achieved.
- Assist in monitoring workload in laboratory to reduce overtime.
- Ensure all analytical methods are followed according to specified instructions.
- Assist in collection and filing of analytical data for the validation of methods.
- Report all application problems associated with instruments, equipment and computers to Management.
- Report all maintenance work needed to be carried out to ensure normal operations.
- Training and supervision of staff in assigned shift
- Maintain a tidy work area and assist in scheduled clean up and maintenance procedures.
- Evaluate, validate and report analytical results.
- Monitor analytical process and take remedial action where deviations/discrepancies arise impacting on the quality of the analytical results.
- Effective supervision of staff to achieve optimum production levels.
- Production targets achieved based on work assigned and resources available
- Laboratory House Keeping maintained at high standard
- Perform any other reasonable tasks as assigned by Laboratory Management
- Check completed batches and submit or initiate re-assays where appropriate after verifying standards and replicates using the data acceptance criteria.
- Advice Management on the assessment of precision and accuracy of all methods and take action as required
- Assist in maintaining accurate record keeping and control system for all documents
- Ensure all non-conformances are recorded, fixed or escalated as required
- Ensure calibration of Dispensers, balances and hotplates done each shift.
- Ensure AAS operating data recorded each shift, take action as needed.
Ensure all solutions / standards correctly labeled and new AAS standards
- checked against the old.
- Update equipment maintenance log books after non-routine maintenance.
- Ensure all primary standards are correctly prepared and labeled to check against the original standards.
- Assist with addressing client complaints.
- Keep Laboratory Management informed of all issues within the Laboratory
- Participate in Training Programmes as required
- Maintain good relations with all members of client staff relevant government authorities and community agencies.
- Handle Staff grievances, escalate to Management as required.
- Supervise subordinates, including discipline escalate as needed.
- Keep Management informed of issues within the laboratory
- Assist in the evaluation of staff in shift and conduct performance appraisals as requested
- Cover for Management whilst on breaks
- Assist Management in effective stock control and accurate counts
- Assist in confirming number and quality of received goods
- Maintain good relations with suppliers
- Co-ordinate with Management to initiate and conduct in-house training as and when appropriate
- Discuss other training needs both personal and for subordinates with Management
- Maintain good relations with all members of clients staff
- Maintain good relations with consultancy firms, relevant government authorities and community Assemblies
- BSC in Chemistry or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years laboratory experience
Knowledge of procedures on non-routine dissolutions, digestions and separations of samples
Ability to calculate and prepare stock reference standard solutions from primary standard chemicals or high purity metals as required.
Good knowledge in bullion Assay.
Good Knowledge in titration and standardization of stock solutions.
Detailed knowledge of analysis by atomic absorption spectrophotometer measurements
Good problem solving skills
Good Communication Skills
Sound Supervisory skills.
Able to operate and do routine maintenance in all instruments in a minerals assay Laboratory
Knowledge of ISO 17025.