1. Medior Advisor Water and Sanitation (WASH)
- Capacity development services to WASH clients:
- Take an active role in sector studies to identify constraints and opportunities and to develop market-based solutions and approaches
- Act as the lead advisor of a number of WASH clients and guide advisory teams to prepare, implement and monitor capacity development plans and assignment contracts to develop the capacity of multiple sector actors
- Deliver advisory services as agreed upon with the clients in the assignment contracts, observing SNV’s quality standards
- Conduct progress monitoring and assignment reviews with clients, and take an active role in impact studies
- Multi stakeholder platforms and sector coordination:
- Develop and maintain a professional network with stakeholders for mutual learning and scaling up
- Facilitate sector coordination activities with other donors and (I)NGOs at the meso level
- Support the same activities at national level
- Initiate strategic partnerships with actors for joint service delivery, knowledge development, and resource mobilisation purposes
- Participate actively in meeting internal resource mobilisation targets
- Learning and team work:
- Support the other WASH Advisors and their clients at the meso level by providing support to and where necessary coaching other Advisors to develop a strong expertise team
- Stimulate and participate in learning and sharing of best practices
- Support the country sector leader to boost quality, visibility, applicability and up-scalability of SNV expertise and experience in the country to position SNV as a knowledgeable organisation in the field of WASH
- Provide policy input for positioning and profiling of SNV Ghana as well as for the direction of the WASH sector
- Knowledge development, management and brokering:
- Identify, present and publish best practices and lessons learned
- Take an active role in national and international knowledge exchange mechanisms and networks
Required Skills or Experience
- Masters Degree in a related technical or management discipline (Water Resource Management, Public Health or Sanitary Engineering or other relevant degree with specialisation in rural/urban water supply, sanitation and hygiene service provision)
Specific knowledge for the position:
- Comprehension of WASH approaches and concepts
- Strong knowledge in policy, planning and management issues related to the sector
- Knowledge of good governance practices, and approaches dealing with gender-sensitive, social inclusion and empowerment principles
- Possess a demonstrable high level of competence in training and advisory methods
- Understand and able to use problem and evidence-based approaches to capacity development
- Knowledge of value chain development and results/performance based contracting approaches
- 5-7 years of experience in WASH service delivery
- Professional work experience in developing countries and experience in West Africa is preferred
- Experience in working in community-managed water supply and sanitation program implementation
- Experience in conducting sector reviews
- Experience in developing business plans to improve small and medium sized enterprise operations, and management of public sector service providers including working knowledge on unaccounted for water and water loss in supply systems
- Experience and working knowledge on the technical and social aspects related to operation and maintenance functions
- Experience in advisory service delivery, facilitation and training with public sector actors
- Experience in working with both government and private sector service providers
- Experience with service delivery mechanisms, including financial management and cost recovery mechanisms;
- Experience in facilitating workshops, networking, building alliances and organisational and institutional change processes
- Experience in knowledge development and management and able to publish articles
- Readiness to work and frequently travel in rural areas with minimal amenities
- Excellent communication, facilitation and reporting skills;
- Strategic analytical skills for sector analysis and identification of market-based solutions and knowledge development, basic knowledge of value chain development and results based contracting approaches
- Pro-active attitude, active networking, lobbying and knowledge brokering skills with clients/partners
- Coaching skills (client staff )
- Knowledge searching skills (internet, knowledge institutes)
2. Senior Advisor Agriculture
- Steer the Agriculture sector team in interpreting regional and corporate agriculture sector into a Ghana specific strategy.
- Manage the technical activities related to, feasibility analyses of different interventions, implementation of key activities by partners, monitoring and evaluation of implementation, preparation and delivery of report and other materials
- Provide technical and scientific support and leadership as a subject matter resource for the implementation of innovative field-based pilot projects that demonstrate opportunities for sustainable agriculture management and showcase approaches and methodologies for achieving result in the areas in Ghana .
- Provide technical inputs into all parts of the agriculture intervention program in Ghana, with a focus on showcasing approaches and methodologies for achieving objectives and demonstrating innovations and sustainability.
- Design the program interventions and provide supervision to field interventions at national, regional and district levels.
- Liaise closely with the with the agric team on replicating and scaling-up innovation through national regional and district platforms and partnerships.
- Prepare work plans and contribute to execution of work plans by field teams including field visits to ensure progress and amend strategy as needed.
- Report to the PC and respond to her requests.
- Provide input into all work-plans, progress reports and performance management plans.
- Build partnerships with key donors, government agencies and non-governmental organizations to help implement projects in Ghana. Maintain networks and manage relationships with partners, policy makers and other stakeholders.
- Prepare reports, memos, presentations, and lessons learned as needed
- Support the development of the respective Agricultural Value chains through Delivery of quality capacity development services in line with SNV poverty reduction programmes.
- Strategically identify, build capacity and strengthen links between supporting Local capacity Builders (LCBs) that are instrumental to the functioning of the Agriculture project in Ghana.
- Develop and enhance strategic engagement between SNV and local capacity builders.
- Ensure capacity strengthening of LCBs that provide capacity development and clients in the value chains
- Coaching advisors in the strategy implementation process
- Develop strategic partnerships for joint implementation, knowledge sharing and leveraging on resources (resource mobilisation) within the agriculture strategy.
- In collaboration with value chain focal persons, steer team in consolidating models and packaging the same for resource mobilisation.
- Consistent mapping and identifying potential sources for resource mobilisation.
Required Skills or Experience
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Agric-economics, Agri-business or related field.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and internet use
- Relevant international working experience with market led agriculture development with minimum of five years of experience in managing large and complex development projects, preferably related to agriculture.
- Experience in value chain development (production to market), organisational and institutional development, facilitating multi-stakeholder involvement, networking and building alliances.
- Knowledge and insights in the functioning of the private sector.
- Proven track record of capacity building through advisory services and process facilitation in a complex system.
- Experience in knowledge development and resource mobilisation.
- Shows understanding of different interests, cultures and perspectives.
- Demonstrates genuine curiosity and interest in people, things and issues relevant for SNV’s vision.
- Communicates directly and in a way that fosters trust and clarity of intent.
- Good experience in networking with potential donors and strategic partners;
- Managerial Competencies
- Is result oriented and accountable for impact.
- Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal and coaching skills.
- Proficiency in English, both written and spoken
- Good communication and coaching skills;
- Strong ability to inspire and lead;
- Strong entrepreneurial orientation;
3.Medior Advisor ( Renewable Energy) x 2
A. Advisory Services
- Support clients/group of clients in developing and implementing successful Renewable Energy dissemination programmes and projects;
- Support the operationalization of SNV Ghana strategy for Renewable Energy and translate it into continued support activities to a wide range of actors;
- Provide client focused quality capacity building advisory services to clients, partners and Local Capacity Builders (LCBs);
- Initiate and contributes to national activities within his/her field of expertise;
- Support mainstreaming governance for empowerment, gender equity and social inclusion in the Renewable Energy sector.
B. Learning & Teamwork
- Contribute to sharing and learning among Renewable energy team: best practices, methods, tools, case-studies, etc.;
- Give input for the up-scaling of the team activities;
- Provide on-the-job support, coaching, technical backstopping and guidance to SNV advisors across all portfolios and LCBs on the above mentioned issues;
- Document results, including the process followed and the support supplied by SNV;
- Contribute to promote external knowledge alliances with high level knowledge institutes and share the publication of SNV-knowledge to external public;
- Contribute to product development: transform current advisory practice in marketable products and services and develop new relevant and meaningful products.
C. Positioning/networking/resource mobilization
- Provide input for decision making in Renewable Energy practice area;
- Actively explore new markets – opportunities for resource mobilization – product – client combinations;
- Contribute to build strategic alliances and partnerships which leads to creating income and employment opportunities;
- Support and promote collaboration between stakeholders in the sector especially at national level. Actively engage with stakeholders to further increase the priority of the sector on government’s and donor’s agendas;
- Contribute to external resource mobilization and business development: identify opportunities and contribute to the formulation of project ideas and program proposals for SNV and clients;
- Represent SNV and its interests effectively in national, regional and local level forums as appropriate.
D. Knowledge management / development
- Ensure proper documentation of activities and achievements;
- Ensure that best practices are systematized, documented and if possible published;
- Contribute to knowledge networks/partnerships nationally within his/her field of expertise.
Required Skills or Experience
- Master’s degree in management of Renewable energy, with focus to: Finance in renewable energy, Business Analyst, Investments.
- Academic level of working and thinking in SNV related themes.
- Minimum of five years of working in business development preferably in Renewable energy context;
- Proven track record in capacity building, process facilitation and resource mobilization;
- Experience in micro and medium size enterprise development and insight into problems and constraints in stimulating partnerships;
- Ability and experience in analysing the socio- economic and political context of renewable energy;
- Experience in networking, alliances building, and facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes, product development, organisational learning, institutional change processes, and project proposal formulation.
- Good knowledge of the renewable sector in Ghana;
- Knowledge of Private Sector and SME
- Focuses (knowledge) on finance/business analyst and business development + opportunities
- Knowledge of national strategies for poverty alleviation, rural development;
- Understanding of SNV cross-cutting themes as good governance and gender equity;
- Intelligence tools as wel as business modelling;
- Knowledge of and experience with participatory monitoring and evaluation systems and with process documentation for future reference, organizational learning and decision making.
- Very good writing and verbal communication skills;
- Opportunity driven, looks and sees the opportunities
- Client and team oriented attitude;
- Leadership, entrepreneurship and coaching and self-reflection skills;
- Proactive, creative and out-of-the-box thinking;
- Business attitude and want-to-learn attitude;
- Proven abilities and experience in team building and participatory techniques;
- Networking and negotiation abilities combined with result orientation;
- Proven ability to work in different cultural settings and multi-cultural environment;
- Proven ability to take initiatives independently and to have perseverance under adverse circumstances;
- Flexibility to work compatibly with national community based and non-government, government and private sector organizations;
- A strong flare for problem solving and evidence-based approaches to capacity development;
- Some knowledge of gender concepts;
- Readiness to work and travel in rural districts with minimal amenities;
- Fluency in English (SNV’s corporate language)and good command of French;
- Computer literacy in MS Office and Internet use;
- Driver’s license
How To Apply
To apply for the above position, please forward your resume in Microsoft Word Format to:
Closing: 02 Sep, 2011