SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy, and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, and over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and invest in operational excellence. SNV aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more escape poverty beyond our projects. We continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
Our Global Support Unit (70 staff) backstops our teams around the world. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Job Title: Agriculture Advisor
Overview and Background
SNV has been present in Ghana since 1992. SNV is implementing the Boosting Green Employment and Enterprise Opportunities (GrEEn) project since early 2020. The project aims to promote employment, and entrepreneurship and support the greening of businesses for sustainable and climate-resilient local economies in Ghana. It is being implemented in the Ashanti and Western regions of Ghana. Primarily funded by the European Union through its Emergency Trust Fund (EUTF) for Africa, GrEEn is being implemented by SNV Netherlands Development Organisation and the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF).
SNV currently seeks a full-time Agriculture Advisor for the GrEEn project.
S/he has the responsibility of facilitating the identification, development, and implementation of business cases whereby climate-smart agriculture solutions are integrated into the value chain from an agronomic, financial, and inclusion perspective.
- Coordinate and contribute to market scans, value chain, and climate risk assessments in the two focal regions: Ashanti and Western region.
- Support Micro, Small, and Medium-sized Enterprises to green their agribusinesses and develop business cases.
- Support Skills Development advisor in the design and implementation of training and coaching programs on agribusiness management for female and youth entrepreneurs.
- Support Business Development & Market Linkages advisors and Incubation/acceleration specialists in the identification, testing, greening, and upscaling of green business models.
- Support Business Development & Market Linkages advisors and incubation/acceleration specialists in investment mobilization
- Monitor and report the performance of the business cases as per the set milestones.
- Provide inputs to the project’s overall M&E system (e.g. data collection and analysis as needed, knowledge management)
- Support agribusiness platforms to promote, advise, and jointly agree on climate-proofing value chains, policy recommendations, and climate-smart investments.
- Master’s degree plus 5 years of experience or bachelor’s degree plus 8 years of experience in a relevant discipline, such as Agribusiness, Agricultural Economy, or Business Administration.
- At least 3 years of experience in inclusive value chain development and agribusiness finance, preferably experience with climate and green business finance.
- Ability and demonstrated experience in designing and appraising business cases.
- Understanding of market systems development.
- Experience in female and youth entrepreneurship programs.
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders.
- Good project management skills, and ability to contribute to the project’s overall M&E system.
- Understanding of climate change risk management and inclusion of smallholder producers into the supply chain.
- Excellent organizing, negotiation, influencing and advisory/coaching, and networking skills
- Flexible approach to taking on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting, and presentation skills.
Application and Selection Process
Application Guidelines: Please read these carefully. Failure to comply will adversely affect your application.
- This is a full-time national with the successful candidate being contracted on an initial one-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
- SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts.