SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy, and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
SNV currently aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management. Our Global Support Unit (70 staff) backstops our teams around the world.
Job Title: Agriculture Advisor
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview of the Project
SNV has been present in Ghana since 1992. SNV has recently been awarded funding from the European Union Emergency Trust Fund to implement the GrEEn project, which aims to promote employment, entrepreneurship and support the greening of businesses for sustainable and climate-resilient local economies in Ghana.
The project is currently seeking applicants for a full-time position for
The position is will based in either Kumasi or Takoradi, Ghana
SNV currently seeks a full-time Agriculture Advisor for the GrEEn project. S/he has the responsibility of facilitating the identification, development, and implementation of business cases whereby climate-smart agriculture solutions are integrated into the value chain from an agronomic, financial and inclusion perspective.
- Coordinate and contribute to market scans, value chain and climate risk assessments in the two focal regions: Ashanti and Western region;
- Support agribusinesses to develop business cases;
- Support Skills Development advisor in the design and implementation of training and coaching programs on agribusiness management for female and youth entrepreneurs;
- Support Business Development & Market Linkages advisors and Incubation/acceleration specialist in identification, testing and upscaling of green business models
- Support Business Development & Market Linkages advisors and incubation/acceleration specialist in investment mobilization
- Support in implementation of a business plan competition, as well as a challenge fund and Green Investment forum;
- Monitor and report the performance of the business cases as per the set milestones;
- Provide inputs to the project’s overall M&E system (e.g. data collection and analysis as needed; knowledge management)
- Support agribusiness platforms to promote, advise and jointly agree on climate-proofing value chains, policy recommendations, and climate-smart investments.
- Master’s degree plus 5 years of experience or Bachelor’s Degree plus 8 years of experience in a relevant discipline, such as: Agribusiness, Agricultural Economy or Business Administration;
- At least 3 years of experience in inclusive value chain development and agribusiness finance, preferable experience with climate and green business finance;
- Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising business cases;
- Understanding of market systems development;
- Experience in female and youth entrepreneurship programs;
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders;
- Good project management skills; ability to contribute to the project’s overall M&E system;
- Understanding of climate change risk management and inclusion of smallholder producers into the supply chain;
- Excellent organizing, negotiation, influencing and advisory/coaching skills
- Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated;
- Willingness to travel to all project locations;
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills.
* Women are encouraged to apply.
* Application Deadline: February 24th, 2020
* Contract Duration: Initial 2 years contract
* Contract Type: National Contract
This is a full-time national position. The successful candidate being contracted on an initial two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
Application Guidelines: Please read these carefully. Failure to comply will adversely affect your application.
- Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their applications in English in the form of a one-page letter and current CV outlining experience, qualifications, and three reference contacts by uploading this information not later than February 24th, 2020.
- Only those applicants whose work experience and education meet the mandatory requisites above will be considered for the position, and only short-listed applicants will be contacted