SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence. SNV aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
Our Global Support Unit (70 staff) backstops our teams around the world. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Job Title: Skill Development Advisor
Overview and Background
SNV has been present in Ghana since 1992. SNV is implementing the Boosting Green Employment and Enterprise Opportunities (GrEEn) project since early 2020. The project aims to promote employment, entrepreneurship and support the greening of businesses for sustainable and climate resilient local economies in Ghana. It is being implemented in the Ashanti and Western regions of Ghana. Primarily funded by the European Union through its Emergency Trust Fund (EUTF) for Africa, GrEEn is being implemented by SNV Netherlands Development Organisation and the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF).
SNV currently seeks a full-time Skills Development Specialist for the GrEEn project.
S/he will be responsible for the overall Employability and Entrepreneurship Skills Development components of the project at national level, in coordination with the Project Manager. S/he works closely with two regional skills development advisors, as well as with project partners, service providers and sub-contractors.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, The Skill Development Advisor is part of the core project team, and the key responsibilities of the role will include:
Key Responsibilities of the Position
National partnership engagement
- Provide strategic technical guidance on market-driven workforce development methodologies, private sector partnerships, access to credit, entrepreneurship, etc. to key personnel, project staff, government ministries, and project partners and stakeholders.
- Facilitate the development of mechanisms for coordination, collaboration, consensus and trust building among key national actors including the government, private businesses, civil society organizations, women, media, citizens, youth, and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement activities that facilitate preparation for youth and women participation in decision-making and the economy at the national levels.
- Discover and engage with available networks of youth support systems, networks and organisations for the planning and implementation of project activities
- Cooperate with relevant associations, umbrella organisations, and individual private sector actors within the programme environment
- Advise and support/assist implementation activities & events demanded by national and international advisors in carrying out their work in Ghana upon request.
- Contribute to public relation materials and fact sheets.
- Work closely with relevant ministries such as the Ministry of Employment Labour Relations (MELR), Trade and Industries etc, Education.
- Facilitate demand-oriented exchange with and coordination amongst national and sub-national stakeholder, in particular Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations, COTVET, Ministry of Education (MoE), Ministry of Trade and Industry (MOTI), related departments, associations (AGI), and companies to coordinate TVET programmes.
Skills development and field activities
- Coordinate the implementation of the result 2 component of the GrEEn project (orientation and coaching the field staff)
- Provide technical advice to ensure partners’ understanding of labour market needs by the program teams and work with staff to implement curricula and training programs that are demonstrably linked to growth areas, opportunities for start-up capital and apprenticeships.
- Provide technical advice to partners in design and rollout of training modules and curriculum and develop appropriate locally led approaches build consensus around and address vulnerabilities
- Provide technical advice on activities that will decrease barriers to youth access to post-secondary training and/or market-driven workforce development programs leading to employment or self-employment.
- Develop ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including policies, guidelines, manuals and procedures as part of R2 operational plan
- In conjunction with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, develop and assist in the measurement of youth skills development indicators, and support efforts to increase the impact of programme activities.
- Coordinate with other SNV programmes and actively seeks their input and participation.
- To undertake all other relevant activities as and when assigned by the Project Manager.
- Review and summarize new business opportunities and potential partnerships in alignment with SNV priorities and strategic plan (6).
- Participate in, and/or lead, proposal writing as needed (7).
- Coordinate the process of developing and updating skills/training development donor mapping and coordinating the mapping of institutional funding opportunities (4).
- Lead the process of developing fundraising strategy and implementation for skills/training and entrepreneurship development (5).
- Lead the development of concept notes and proposals on new and existing opportunities (3)
- Provide coaching and support to the GrEEn project skills development team (1).
- Compile, review and finalise R2 quarterly and annual reports (3).
- Actively contribute to SNV Ghana’s Business Development.
- Master’s degree plus 7 years of experience or bachelor’s degree plus 10 years of experience in a relevant discipline, such as entrepreneurship, inclusive business, agricultural economics, agribusiness, energy economics and business administration.
- Proven track record in employability skills development in projects of similar nature, preferably in international development organizations on the following themes.
- Strong experience and networks on youth employment issues especially in the context of Ghana.
- Good knowledge on the skills development and technical training ecosystems in Ghana, including key governmental and private institutions.
- Experience in developing and/or reviewing proposal budgets and cost proposals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and work proactively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to manage complex processes and team relationships to ensure effective collaboration by various contributors to the process, including contributors from multiple offices/units and at all levels of the organization.
- Initiative taker, self-motivation and a commitment to continuously work results oriented.
- Wide experience working in a fundraising environment and raising resources from institutional and other donors.
- Experience developing and delivering fundraising strategies.
- Experience writing successful funding proposals.
Application and Selection Process
Application Guidelines: Please read these carefully. Failure to comply will adversely affect your application.
- This is a full-time national with the successful candidate being contracted on an initial one-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
- SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts.