SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence. SNV aims more explicitly for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more escape poverty beyond our projects. We continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
Our Global Support Unit (70 staff) backstops our teams around the world. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Job Title: Agriculture / Farm Resilience and Livelihoods Advisor
Overview and Background
As a pro-poor development organization, SNV facilitates smallholder agricultural value chain development by promoting production efficiency and product quality, improve access to input and farm management services, and strengthen farm resilience through climate smart practices. SNV also facilitates better farmer organisation, improved market access while securing companies’ supply base by enhancing farmer loyalty and investing in fair, equitable and sustainable practices.
To roll out the anticipated project, SNV is currently seeking applications for a full-time position as an Agriculture Advisor, with specific expertise in Farm Resilience and Livelihoods for an anticipated project.
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager the Farm Resilience Advisor on the project will each be responsible to provide technical insights and advisory services to mainly farmers, on diversification and mixed cropping with food security and nutrition related food crops that are compatible with productivity enhancement, and facilitate farmer adoption of regenerative agriculture in smallholder white sorghum system. The Advisor will support the project manager and project partners to meet the overall objectives, as well as identifying opportunities and areas for improvement, to ensure quality delivery.
Duties & Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of each Advisor will include the following:
- Oversee the effective implementation of the project plan to increase sorghum production among smallholders and commercial farmers in the districts of the target project area.
- Promote across project area diversification, and sustainable production of sorghum is part of farm system both in terms of agronomy and revenue/cash flow
- Promote mixed cropping with nutrition and food security related food crops that are compatible with productivity enhancement of white sorghum system.
- Promote regenerative agriculture through sustainable intensification and
- agroecology including practices such as minimum tillage, cover cropping, enhanced on-farm biodiversity and mixed cropping, improved soil water holding capacity.
- Strengthen farmer loyalty towards GGBL sorghum grain sourcing.
- Identify and profile farmers for production support.
- Lead in the quality management of grains for delivery.
- Lead technology transfer activities to farmers.
- Support aggregators in grain mobilization and delivery.
- Monitor and collect data on farmer learning plots and other M&E indicators for learning.
- Monitor the performance of farmers in the production of sorghum.
- Ensure annual production targets of aggregators and farmers are met.
- Support the formation and operationalization of VSLAs.
- Lead the mobilization of actors around sorghum production in at least four (4) districts of the project.
- Applicant must have relevant knowledge in Private Sector, good understanding and work experience in value chain development and agribusiness operations. She/he must have strong knowledge and experience in the sorghum sector in Ghana.
- Master’s degree plus Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in relevant disciplines, such as: Agronomy, Crop science, Biotechnology, Natural Resources Management, and any related field.
- At least five (5) years of experience in implementing project as an Agronomist or value chain development in the sorghum or related crop sector; experience in large and complex grain production and supply chain strengthening is desired.
- Proven experience in project implementation having relevant understanding of value chain development and other events for value chain stakeholders in sorghum or related grain sector.
- Result-orientation and ability to take initiatives under minimal supervision, and to reach targets.
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders.
- Good project management skills: ability to contribute to the project’s overall M&E system will be a plus.
- Excellent organising, negotiation, influencing and advisory/coaching and networking skills.
- Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills.
- Lead and support the production of sorghum in at least four (4) districts of the project.
- Entrepreneurial, result-oriented and driver for change.
- Ability to effectively communicate with farmers and entrepreneurs along the agricultural value chain.
- Strong interpersonnel skills with excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments and the private sector including influencing skills and experience of working effectively in a matrix organisation.
- Able to support and energise multi-partner project teams.
- Experience in knowledge management and documentation.
- Team player and confident to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural setting.
Application and Selection Process
Application Guidelines: Please read these carefully. Failure to comply will adversely affect your application.
- This is a full-time national with the successful candidate being contracted on an initial two years basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
- SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts.
- Interested applicants are kindly requested to upload their applications in English in the form of a one-page letter and current CV outlining experience, qualifications and three reference contacts, not later than 5:00pm, March 20, 2023.
- Expected Start Date: 15 April 2023, depending on contract award date.
- Only those applicants whose work experience and education meet the mandatory requisites below will be considered for the position.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.