The USAID/Ghana Partnership for Education: Evaluating Systems(implemented by Social Impact Inc.) is conducting a teacher rationalization study in public primary schools. The purpose of the study is to produce evidence-based recommendations to inform the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Ghana Education Service (GES) in its implementation of effective policies related to teacher recruitment, deployment and retention in line with Ghana’s language of instruction policy to improve language match conditions in public primary schools. As part of the study, Evaluating Systems is conducting a regional/local-level study consisting of 10 district-level case studies—will commence in mid-September of this year over a period of four weeks.
Job Title: Senior Research Associate, Ghana Evaluating Systems
The objectives of the regional study are threefold:
- Provide in-depth examinations of how national teacher rationalization, deployment, and retention policies and language match conditions are experienced and understood by district-, circuit-, school-, and community-level stakeholders;
- Investigate the range of regional and local issues that contribute to outcomes in teacher deployment and retention, and
- Obtain district, circuit, school, and community-level perspectives on challenges and solutions to effective, efficient, and equitable teacher rationalization, deployment, and retention policy and practice.
In line with the above study, Social Impact/Evaluating Systems is seeking to recruit consultants for the following position:
- Senior Research Associate:
The Senior Research Associate will support this work with Social Impact Evaluating Systems by leading a four-team collecting data for four (4) days in each district. The data collection will require participation in a one-week qualitative data collection training and two to three (2-3) weeks of data collection traveling to each of the selected districts across the country.
Specific Duties and Responsibility
- Lead a four (4) member team to conduct semi-structured interviews in selected schools and district education office across the country
- Establish and maintain the schedule of the team, and coordinate team logistics with the Evaluating Systems team, keeping track of receipts and financial documentation of the team and conducting outreach for each district.
- Work with Evaluating Systems to ensure that the target groups are appropriately informed of the data collection.
- Prepare and collate daily summary interview notes and submit to the Principal investigator at the social impact headquarters.
- Work with Evaluating Systems logistics unit and finance to ensure the advance request for the team is settled and appropriate for their work.
- A minimum of master’s degree in Social Science with at least two years post qualification relevant work experience in qualitative research and data collection
- Excellent organizational skills with meticulous attention to details
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written English (strong note-taking and summary skills in English is required)
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and communicate effectively with colleagues, Evaluating Systemsteam, government officials and local community members
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills is required
- Excellent interviewing skills is required
- Demonstrated experience in report writing
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the ethical issues in research
- Excellent computer skills including use of Microsoft word and ability to type at reasonable speed is desired
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.