Posted on :
17 Sep, 2018
17 Sep, 2018
Solarcentury is one of the most respected solar companies in the world. Founded in 1998, we have been around since the early days of the solar industry and have been part of the evolution that has made PV the attractive investment it is today. We have put solar on a greater variety of sites than any other company in the industry, and have won multiple awards for product innovation. Solarcentury has offices in the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Panama, Chile and Mexico.
We develop, design and install commercial, industrial and utility scale solar. All our customers benefit from our experience in terms of engineering quality, superior yields and sheer breadth of deployment.
We are a big believer in helping solar PV change our world for the better and contribute 5% of our net profits every year to the charity we founded, SolarAid, which aims to eradicate kerosene lamps from Africa by 2020.
Solarcentury has decided to invest in Ghana to help the country in reaching its renewable target and contribute to a sustainable future on the energy supply.
Job Title: Business Development Manager
• To proactively develop Solarcentury’s PV business in Ghana and ECOWAS providing short and long-term EPC revenue and market share growth. This is a new role within Solarcentury and is a key part of the company’s international expansion strategy. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with a proven track record in international sales. This position will be based in Ghana.
• This is a fantastic opportunity to play a key role in the development of Solarcentury’s international business, directly impacting the company’s commercial growth, profitability and strategic direction. This position will require extensive international travel outside of Ghana both to Solarcentury HQ in London and to other African countries.
• This is a role which will require flexibility in a changing environment and an appetite to play a part in growing a new business in Ghana and the wider ECOWAS area. Ghanaian nationals will be given preference if a candidate can demonstrate compliance with our expectations.
• Identifying and qualifying direct or indirect technically and commercially attractive PV sales opportunities with commercial customers in Ghana and ECOWAS and negotiating and closing contracts with them. This will include hybrid PV systems, commercial roof and utility scale PV plants.
• Creating commercial and technical proposals for direct customers and investors
• Local representation with existing clients – working in close collaboration with the West Africa Hybrid
Business Development Manager
• Periodically reporting on project pipeline, competition, market developments
• Commercial Responsibility: delivering on agreed annual revenue and gross margin targets working in
close collaboration with the Africa Operations team
• Learning, reporting and recording on policy and legislation developments
• Developing and implementing a Sales Plan; target clients and client groups, sales proposition and
engagement. Identifying new West African markets and developing strategies to enter these markets
• Supporting the Director of Operations in identifying local contractors and suppliers. To include
providers of professional services, installation contractors and suppliers of system components
• Liaison with GIPC and EC in pursuit of licences and providing guidance to Solarcentury on the
requirements and options where the regulations are being developed – working with existing legal
• Development of a recruitment plan and working with Solarcentury HR team to identify and select
• Identifying a suitable office location and establishing a physical and media presence in Ghana/West
• Negotiating EPC contracts
• Understanding country requirements re: local content, tax and other barriers to entry. Finding
solutions to overcome these barriers.
Qualification Required & Experience
Educational Level: E = Essential D = Desirable
• ‘Senior school’ Level or Equiv: (E) Technical, Good understanding of PV and energy technologies and competing technologies. Experience with contracting for
power and/or construction projects
• 1st degree, Degree Calibre (D) Commercial, Proven track record in high value international sales with ability to sell at exec/board level, ideally in the PV or other renewable or construction and power markets
• 2nd degree (D), Financial: Experience with and development and presentation of financial business models. Working with investors on £m project relationships with UK and international investors
• Professional Qual. (D) Customers: Network and relationships with overseas commercial customers, authorities, investors, developers, installers, supply chain
Skills (including Specialist Skills)/ Experience / Attributes
• Proven track record in high value high tech international sales, preferably in PV
• Experience doing business in Ghana & West Africa
• Experience working in EU or US or in Africa with multinationals.
• Highly self-motivated
• Strong initiative and creative thinking
• Fluent in English and ideally French and local languages
• Ability to work individually and as a team
• Excellent communication skills
• Managing travel and sales budgets
• Proven track record of delivering/exceeding revenue and margin targets
• Strong networking capability and existing network
• Existing relationships with international investors, project developers, supply chain
• Experience in developing sales projects from scratch
• Understanding of PV and competing technologies
• Understanding of financial modelling
• Willingness to travel extensively abroad
• Understanding of the regulatory environment for grid tied solar and the wider energy industry in
How to Apply
Should you be interested in applying for this job, please email the following persons with your Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter for this position: • Sophie Lindberg – Human Resource Adviser: [email protected] • Guillaume AVRANCHE – Business Development Manager Africa: [email protected]
Closing Date: 07 October, 2018