Solidaridad West Africa (SWA) is a not-for-profit organization that supports the sustainable development of production systems in West Africa. We play a catalytic role by partnering with private sector companies and other stakeholders to foster the development of socially responsible, ecologically sound and profitable supply chains. Our activities in West Africa are focused on cocoa, gold, oil palm, cotton, soy, and other commodities.
Job Title: Editor / Writer
As one of the Regional Expertise Centres (REC) within Solidaridad’s international network, we are part of a growing global organization advocating and supporting sustainable and responsible production and trade. SWA focuses on stimulating sustainable supply chains through the introduction of innovations in good practices, robust infrastructure, sustainable landscape management and enabling the policy.
The Solidaridad regional office is based in Accra, Ghana and currently has programs and operations in Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Cote D’Ivoire, Ghana, Liberia, and Nigeria.
The Editor/Writer will work to ensure that materials published by Solidaridad West Africa are clear, concise, accurate, logical, targeted, of the right quantity, of superior quality and in good taste. The incumbent shall be the gatekeeper of the Solidaridad writing, editing and publishing policy and guidelines or develop same, where necessary.
The position reports directly to the Head of Communication.
- Strategically plan, coordinate and guide the writing, editing and revision of publications.
- Develop and promote writing and editorial guidelines for Solidaridad West Africa based on the corporate writing guide and publication policy.
- Research, create, edit, revise and rewrite materials for publication, including articles, news stories, reports, project documents, speeches, newsletters, project leaflets/brochures and web contents.
- Review text for audio-visual materials, including titles, subtitles, captions and credits before post-production is completed.
- Consistently train staff in writing, editing and compliance to the Solidaridad style guide and editorial policy.
- Review texts from staff to be published on the Solidaridad global website and social media platforms.
- Ensure that all information, written or visual, accessed on the regional pages of the Solidaridad’s website is accurate and reflects the corporate image and timely.
- Cross-check any quotations and references to ensure that materials are well credited and copyright issues are addressed before publishing to refrain from falsity or defamation.
Required Skills or Experience
- A master’ degree in Communications, Journalism or English. Additional studies or a short course in the sustainable development sector will be an advantage. A Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 7 years of work experience in creative writing, editing, proofreading or journalism.
- Experience in writing and editing for a progressive development organization is an advantage
- Ability to write English clearly with a keen understanding of syntax and the rules of grammar
- Ability and desire to dig into topics through research to make the writing as accurate and as detailed as possible.
- Attention to detail and Creative writing skills
- Ability to tell engaging stories
How to Apply
If you are looking for a rewarding opportunity to make a tangible difference, then kindly send your application with an updated resume to [email protected]
Please indicate the position in the subject.
- A high priority would be given to qualified female applicants
- Please visit our website: www.solidaridadnetwork.org
- Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted