Posted on :
2 May, 2014
2 May, 2014
JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc. is a leader in improving the health of individuals and communities by providing high-quality technical and managerial assistance to public health programs worldwide. JSI has implemented projects in 104 countries, and currently operates from eight U.S. and 81 international offices for the past 30 years.
JSI has received funding from the United States Agency for International Development to implement the Strengthening Partnerships, Results and Innovations in Nutrition Globally (SPRING) Project to work in northern Ghana with a focus on strengthening the treatment and preventive nutrition services in health facilities, and overseeing the implementation of specific tasks that strengthen community based nutrition improvements.
Job Title: Senior Nutrition Advisor
The Senior Nutrition Advisor provides technical assistance and support to SPRING/Ghana towards accomplishing its country goal, objectives and targets. The Senior Nutrition Advisor works in close collaboration with the Deputy Country Manager and other SPRING/Ghana country program technical and administrative staff.The Senior Nutrition Advisor directs all nutrition and quality improvement technical assistance to project staff, implementing partners, districts, health facilities and other relevant stakeholders. The Senior Nutrition Advisorsupervises the Nutrition Specialists.
The Senior Nutrition Advisor reports to the Deputy Country Manager based in Tamale, Ghana
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• In consultation with the SPRING/Ghana country management and other technical staff, define SPRING/Ghana nutrition strategy that addresses stunting and anemia
• Provide strategic guidance and overarching vision surrounding nutrition activities in Ghana
• Oversee the implementation of MNP, IFA and IYCF programs
• Develop and sustain partner relationships, including with academic institutions and technical institutions working in nutrition.
• In consultation with the Deputy Country Manager, represent SPRING/Ghana in technical coordination meetings and forums within the districts, regions and country, as needed.
• Play an active role in development of nutrition guidelines and program standards/tools.
• Closely collaborate with social and behavior change communication (SBCC) team in planning, implementing and monitoring of nutrition activities sand interventions.
• Provide technical capacity at the district level to assist the districts in developing an approach to guide the implementation of nutrition interventions.
• Work closely with Strategic Information team to monitor performance against set indicators and document best practices.
Capacity Building for Quality Nutrition Program
• Support the establishment and operationalization of Quality Improvement systems.
• Work with Strategic Information team to develop a systematic approach to document processes, including costing and scaling up of nutrition interventions.
• Ensure that technical approaches for scaling up nutrition services build on in-country capacity to ensure sustainability of services.
• Develop training programmes in priority areas.
Program Operations Support
• Provide timely reports, documents and proposals, as requested.
• Review and refine documents/outputs produced by consultants and other SPRING/Ghana staff.
• Work with other technical team members to identify opportunities for further strengthening of District Health Teams, health systems, and community services for uptake of nutrition services.
• Contribute to the development of technical resource materials, including guidelines, training manuals, curricula and job aids, as necessary.
• Provide support to the Nutrition Advisor, Strategic Information team and the Deputy Country Manager in strategic and critical thinking for shaping, executing, and achieving key SPRING results.
Human Resources Management
• Directly supervise and provide technical guidance and mentorship/coaching to the all SPRING/ Ghana nutrition technical specialists working at district levels.
• Working with other SPRING/Ghana staff, organize regular team building activities with nutrition technical staff.
• Participate in the identification, recruitment and management of consultants for research, design of documents and other relevant tasks, as necessary.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Masters’ degree in Human Nutrition, Public Health or closely related fields.
• At least 8 years of proven experience in implementing community and facility based maternal and child health nutritionor other health-related work required.
• Experience working in health and nutrition quality improvement programs including CMAM, WASH and IYCF.
• Excellent English written and oral communication skills, and the ability to write for a range of audiences and purposes, including superior presentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to initiate and manage significant technical activities, including designing activities, mobilizing resources, identifying and managing partners, and reporting.
• Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic multi-disciplinary project.
• Ability to effectively work independently and outside of conventional office environments, if needed.
• Ability to work effectively in a team consisting of people with different technical backgrounds and with varying levels of technical training.
• Demonstrated managerial, supervisory and interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate relationships, interact effectively with clients and colleagues, and mentor junior technical staff.
• Ability to translate technical information into practical guidance and tools and effectively communicate these using print, electronic, and presentation media.
• Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project management, budget and resource management experience, and client relationship management capability.
• Experience working across multiple sub agreements and partners; ability to work well with people at all levels.
• Must be authorized to work in Ghana.
How To Apply For The Job
JSI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified individual are welcome to apply. Please send your cover letter and CV to:-
[email protected] or the JSI address listed below.
• If you submit via e-mail, please write the title of the job you are applying to in the subject line.
• JSI will only contact short-listed applicants.
• Please no phone calls. Deadline for submission is April 30, 2014.
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc.
Third Soula Street
Closing Date: 12 May, 2014