Posted on :
24 Mar, 2021
24 Mar, 2021
The Governing Council of Sunyani Technical University announces the Executive Search for hardworking, resourceful and visionary persons for the following position as Librarian
The Sunyani Technical University was converted from a Polytechnic to a Technical University by an Act of Parliament establishing Technical Universities in Ghana. The University is mandated by the Technical Universities Act. 2016 (Act 922) to provide Higher Education in Engineering Science and Technology-based disciplines, Technical and Vocational Education and Training Applied Acts and related disciplines.
The University is a leading Technical University that offers high quality career-oriented programmes for national development
Job Title: Librarian
• The Librarian is the Head of the University Library and reports to the Vice Chancellor in the management of the library
• He/She is responsible for the provision of adequate, relevant and up-to-date reading and audio-visual materials to support teaching learning research, innovation and community service functions of the university.
• He/She provides leadership in advancing the university’s teaching, research and innovation mission through a clear vision of the Library’s role.
• He/she provides comprehensive strategic planning incorporating emerging technology, sound fiscal management and engagement of all members of the university community.
• He/She ensures the maintenance of a good environment for reading and learning in all libraries of the university.
• He/She exercises professional and administrative supervision over staff of the university libraries and ensures the efficient and effective running of the librae’s of the university
• He/She shall in conjunction with the Library Committee, and subject to approval by the Academic Board, formulate policies for the maximum development and utilization of the libraries of the university.
• He/She shall represent the library in contacts with Administration and committees of the university.
• He/She shall collaborate and maintain linkages with the relevant and appropriate institutional librae’s and organization within and outside the country in order to keep up with development trends and attain exposure to developed systems. He/She shall perform any other official duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Vice Chancellor.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Possess a minimum of research masters degree in Library or Information
• Science related studies, A PhD in Library Science or Studies is preferable.
• Have served as a Deputy Librarian in a university or comparable grade in a similar institution/organization for at least six (6) years.
• Have a minimum of fifteen (15) cumulative publications.
• Be a scholar and a member of a Professional Body in Librarianship /Information Science.
• Be computer literate and be conversant with Library Software.
• Demonstrate sound judgment, initiative, resourcefulness precision and professionalism
• Be innovative and knowledgeable in procedures on the implementation of new technologies and library services.
• Be able to ensure that adequate Library and research resources are available to meet faculty and student needs within assigned budget.
Terms of appointment:
• The terms and conditions of the appointment shall be determined by the Governing Council of the university consistent with the Technical Universities, Act 2016 (Act 922) as amended and Statutes of Sunyani Technical University.
• The salary and conditions of service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those in analogous universities in Ghana.
How To Apply For The Job
• Candidates are to submit six (6) copies each of their application letter attached to their Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees.
• Applicants are to include a short statement of not more than four (4) pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining their vision and strategies for implementation.
• Applications must be hand delivered in a sealed envelope to the registry of the university and signed for or submitted using a registered postal mail to reach the address below (as applicable).
Search Committee for Librarian
c/o Office of the Registrar
Sunyani Technical University
P.O. Box 206
Closing Date: 31 March, 2021