Job Position: Country Logistics and Trade Compliance Manager Ghana
Country Logistics and Trade Compliance Manager Ghana (
The Country Logistics and Trade Compliance Manager is the responsible party for all local logistics and logistics-related trade compliance operations on behalf of all Product Lines. They supervise all local internal and external logistics, distribution and transportation activities to ensure that the tripartite goals of legal compliance, timely delivery, and price minimization are wholly satisfied.
The primary duties and responsibilities will be:
- Act as the primary contact point for all inbound or outbound logistics operations and logistics-related trade compliance in the country.
- Develop, implement and manage a consistent, coordinated approach for the importation and exportation of goods by all local Product Line operations.
- Plan and implement all aspects of the local traffic functions. Provide cost-effective, timely, and traceable movement of company products both inbound and outbound. Develops, implements, and maintains policies and systems relating monitoring costs and efficiencies. Analyzes and recommends carriers, routing, and processing consultants.
- Develop and supervise a central document retention system (or systems for multi Product Lineal locations) and retain ALL electronic and hard copy shipping files for all import / export movements which will also be recorded in country specific or Product Lineal shipment logbooks. Also retain within the document retention system all applicable trade compliance / export control documentation. The document retention system will require to be fully transparent and auditable.
- Ensure a Cohesive and communicative teamwork approach with the Operational and inventory departments.
- Ensure full scrutiny of all customs broker, freight forwarder and other related invoices and ensure they are properly audited prior to payment and retained in the relevant shipment file.
- Ensure compliance by all local logistics activities/persons with all local import and export customs clearance rules, locally implemented Wassenaar-based export control rules and multilateral nonproliferation regimes, the Baker Hughes Export/Reexport Controls and Economic Sanctions Manual, the Baker Hughes Antiboycott Manual, and the Baker Hughes Code of Conduct.
- Ensure that all freight forwarder, customs clearance company and logistics operations by or on behalf of Baker Hughes adhere to the Baker Hughes FCPA Guidelines and Policies.
- Ensure that all transportation needs for all local Product Lines are effectively satisfied.
- Select and supervise local freight forwarder/customs clearance company processing consultants; advise same on Baker Hughes policies and guidelines; negotiate contracts with same detailing allowed services and anticipated rates therefore; review invoices issued by same for conformance with contract and Baker Hughes policies and guidelines.
- Supervise and Train local logistics analysts on FCPA, Code of Conduct and Changing Customs Processes
- Maintain the local Customs Standard Manual, with all changes subject to review from the applicable Region Trade Director.
- Maintain the local Simplified Shipping Procedure (SSP), with all changes subject to review by the applicable Region Trade Director and the Global FCPA Logistics Director.
- Ensure that local logistics personnel follow the receiving portions of the local SSP, and the outbound portions of the relevant destination SSP for exports; monitor adherence to outbound portions of local SSP by foreign logistics personnel and provide contemporaneous feedback.
- Supervise all items in-country that were exported to the country pursuant to an export control license to ensure that license conditions and provisos are satisfied.
- Maintain logs of temporarily imported items to ensure timely and lawful reexport.
- Actively seek out lawful duty reduction regimes, ensure that such are used lawfully, and establish sufficient records proving entitlement to their use.
- Act as the primary contact with local customs authorities.
- Involve Legal and/or the Region Trade Directors as appropriate.
- Plan and coordinate internal audits of import and export processes and local processing consultant activity.
- Travel as and when required to fully perform responsibilities and duties of the position.
- Twelve or more years of full-time logistics experience,; five years of management or supervisory experience
- Practical local logistics and distribution experience is a key selection criteria; a college degree is not required but is a “plus factor” in selection
- Accreditation under local customs agent or logistics regimes, if any, is preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of transportation/distribution methods and procedures, and the effective means of carriage for trade lanes initiating or terminating in the local country; familiarity with all modes of carriage
- Active, current expertise on local customs practices and procedures; detailed understanding of special local requirements for dangerous goods, radioactive sources and explosives; awareness of how to use local duty reduction regimes (such as PSAs, temporary imports, bonded warehouses, etc.).
- Familiarity with local freight forwarders and customs brokers, and typical fees, services, and rates
- A familiarity with FCPA, logistics, and trade compliance policies, tools, and guidelines.
- A willingness to learn and apply advanced import regulatory requirements relating to classification, valuation, origin, the import clearance process, trade programs, and trade agreements
- A willingness to learn and apply local (if applicable) and US export controls and economic sanctions rules
- A willingness to learn and apply FCPA compliance guidelines as they relate to logistics operations
- Ability to interpret and apply import and export requirements to operative facts
- Demonstrable management skills
- Proficient in general operation of SAP, Windows-based computers and Microsoft Office software
- Strong oral and written English skills; local language ability for one or more countries within the region preferred
- Must be able to legally receiveUStechnology necessary for the position