The Boardroom Africa (TBR Africa) is the largest regional network of board-ready female executives. We promote exceptional female talent to boards across the continent and break down barriers to help organizations realise the benefits of increased diversity on boards while transforming the presence and influence of African women on a global stage. We accelerate the placement of female leaders by connecting peer-endorsed, board-ready women with CEOs and board executives across Africa and beyond.
Job Title: Director of Marketing & Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for all facets of TheBoardroom Africa’s brand and product marketing, which includes implementing, monitoring, and evaluating marketing communications strategy and programs, including advertising, branding, and product promotion campaigns. The Director will also be responsible for designing, developing and distributing consistent themes and branding throughout all communications touch points and utilizing the most effective and innovative means to strengthen TBR Africa’s mission and objectives while also enhancing the organization’s credibility and brand.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement TheBoardroom Africa’s Communications Strategy to meet TheBoardroom Africa’s strategic goals;
- Oversee the development of newsletters, website copy, annual reports, and quarterly reports while ensuring messaging and visual consistency;
- Write press releases and draft effective messages to the media to generate positive coverage of TheBoardroom Africa;
- Create a work plan for communication activities, monitor compliance and provide support and guidance to ensure objectives are met;
- Oversee the monitoring and analysis of social media and web content metrics and use this for course correction to ensure effective communication strategies, planning and advocacy;
- Build and maintain a network of journalists and media professionals, including those active in press, broadcast media, internet and social media, focused on gender equity in Africa, the UK and the U.S.;
- Support, plan, or coordinate awareness campaigns around key issues and dates of importance, such as International Women’s Day, Africa Day, UN General Assembly etc.;
- Organise training for staff on issues such as strategic communications, engagement with the press, giving interviews, and public speaking;
- Manage Communications associates, interns, writers, editors, designers, illustrators, web developers, video producers, etc.
Who are we looking for
We are looking for an experienced marketing and communications professional with a demonstrable track record. Due to the multi-faceted nature of TheBoardroom Africa’s operations, we seek an individual who is nimble, agile and able to work in a fast-paced environment and can effortlessly apply the most effective strategies to any situation. We seek an experienced communications strategist and a strategic leader.
- 7 – 8 years of mid to senior-level professional work experience at the national and international levels in strategic communications, managing digital advocacy and communications, developing campaigns and strategic plans, and developing and managing partnerships in international development is required.
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, International Development or related fields.
- Excellent knowledge of English (spoken and written). Knowledge of French is a plus.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to convey information compellingly and concisely and to re-package complex or technical content in an accessible format for different audiences and channels;
- Good research and analytical skills, with excellent attention to detail;
- Strong project-management skills with the ability to manage communications projects;
- Knowledge and experience in creating different types of content, including social media posts, articles, and video/audio content;
- Well-organised with the ability to manage a varied workload and prioritise tasks as needed;
- A creative, flexible and self-motivated character with openness to new ideas;
- Sound ability to work individually, within diverse teams, and manage others.