The President and Government of Ghana have a vision of a ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ through job creation and value addition of its natural resources. The government has restored macro-economic stability and strong growth performance and has made a bold and public declaration to accelerate industrialization, particularly through vertically integrated value addition with Ghana’s raw products. This is in addition to a range of other investment opportunities in key national infrastructure, vehicle manufacture, pharmaceutical, garment, technology, petrochemical, retail, tourism, energy and agro-processing industries.
Job Title: Industry Development Advisor
The Ministry of Trade & Industry is tasked with delivering on this ambitious program of industrial transformation, and to do so has put forward a 10-Point Agenda:
- Industrial Revitalization Programme
- One District One Factory Programme
- Strategic Anchor Industries strategy
- Business regulatory reforms
- Industrial sub-contracting exchange
- Industrial parks
- Development of SMEs
- Export diversification
- Enhancing domestic retail infrastructure
- Public-Private sector dialogue
In support of this agenda, TBI is seeking an Industry Development Advisor to be based in the Ministry of Trade and Industry (MOTI), working closely with the Minister, Deputy Ministers, Directors, and other key stakeholders to implement economic priority initiatives.
The role will focus on the development of new industries and strengthening of existing industries in Ghana. Given the demand in government, political momentum, global interest and existing TBI’s footprint, we are looking to focus on textile and garment, pharmaceuticals and agro-processing, with flexibility to adapt course if the situation evolves. The role will involve liaising with the private sector in the respective industries to understand their needs and challenges, but will be mostly about facilitating inward investment and supporting MOTI and government put in place the building blocks of industrial policy to ensure a thriving private sector in the focus industries.
The Advisor will be part of a growing TBI team embedded in various agencies of the government of Ghana, working on investment, agriculture, digitisation and health. TBI seeks to provide extensive support to the government of Ghana, leveraging on our expertise and network on delivery, investment and policy; as well as to facilitate cross-government coordination.
This is an initial fixed term role of two years.
Specific duties include:
- Support government to problem-solve and coordinate the implementation of the development of those sectors, leveraging Ministry’s resources as well as partners’ existing programmes and resources
- Support senior government counterparts in mapping, engaging and managing key stakeholders, including domestic and foreign investors, development partners and various government institutions
- Develop a tracking system to facilitate follow-through in MOTI and government, leveraging the wider TBI team, to ensure plans are being implemented and transactions are moving to the next stages. Report to the Minister and MOTI team on progress
Investment promotion and facilitation
- Identify and support the development of bankable opportunities that help package Ghana’s offer to investors, exploring SEZs and industrial parks in particular
- Reach out to potential investors and partners and ensure a strong feedback loop between the private sector and government officials facilitating the development of these industries
- Identify, recommend and facilitate public/private partnerships and/or global development alliances that supports the Government of Ghana industrialisation agenda
Maintain constant knowledge in the key sectors
- Understand the current situation, the potential / opportunities, and the key challenges for the sectors of focus (pharmaceuticals, textile and garment, agro-processing)
- Liaise with existing local players and potential international investors to understand the needs of the industry and support government to package the offer
- Assess critical gaps in Ghana’s offering to these industries and support government to identify specific reforms, investments and actions needed to fill those gaps
- Bespoke support and advice as relevant to the Minister and MOTI teams on policies and incentives to develop new industries and attract FDI, even outside sectors of focus
- Maintain active dialogue with international donor community, private sector players, local organizations, partners, building contacts to facilitate TBI objectives in Ghana
- Coordinate closely with other TBI advisors working on agriculture, health and investment, and contribute to Team Ghana’s objectives
- Support the Country Head, Deputy Country Head and other team members with team strategy, quarterly and annual reporting, fundraising, monitoring and evaluation
We are looking for an outstanding individual with a proven track record of delivery and industry development in the public or private sectors.
The successful candidate will thrive in an environment where the importance of personal initiative coupled with teamwork is critical. Above all they will build effective relationships, win trust, and help shape and influence change in Government.
- Ideally 7-10 years’ of experience working on economic development, industrialisation or investment promotion in emerging markets especially in Africa and / or similar contexts, including but not limited to issues related to industry analysis and strategy, market systems development, public-private collaboration, export development, investment facilitation, and value chain development
- Experience facilitating and attracting companies to set up factories in emerging markets to manufacture for export will be an asset
- Experience of identifying and resolving project implementation bottlenecks with demonstrable capacity for follow through and delivering of results
- Experience and exposure to industrial parks and Special Economic Zones in emerging markets would be a strong advantage
- Political savviness and an understanding of the needs of senior Government officials, whilst being able to work and interact at the highest level of public life
- Excellent in building and managing effective relationships, including the ability to navigate a complex political environment
- An ability to work independently, be entrepreneurial, think strategically and translate strategies into delivery plans on the ground, with emphasis on attention to details; with excellent analytical, organizational, communication and management skills
- Ability to liaise with partner Governments, external bodies, organizations and key stakeholders to deliver the requirements of the office, and TBI in particular
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with counterparts across a large organization including with virtual teams
- A master’s degree in public policy, business, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields or equivalent practical experience
Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, and a can-do attitude. Experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.