Total Family Health Organisation (TFHO) is a Ghanaian nonprofit organization dedicated to helping women, men and young people live healthier lives. As a social enterprise, TFHO works to ensure access to high quality health products for Ghanaians nationwide through socially marketed health commodities and behavior change activities.
Job Title: Executive Director /Chief Of Party
TFHO seeks an experienced, visionary and creative leader in public health and development to act as its Executive Director and Chief of Party of the USAID Ghana Social Marketing Program. The ED/COP will have full programmatic and financial responsibility for TFHO’s existing heath projects and work closely with the TFHO board of directors to deliver a shared vision. Focused on implementing the work of today as well as building for tomorrow, the ED/COP should have extensive expertise in winning and managing large, donor-funded awards, as well as a bold and creative approach to launching social enterprise/ sustainable programming. Experience across multiple health areas is a plus, particularly sexual and reproductive health as well as water and sanitation, malaria, and primary care. The ED/COP represents TFHO to government, key stakeholders and donors.
The Executive Director/ Chief of Party will be responsible for the overall development (fundraising, networking and collaboration with partners), management (financial, administrative, and programmatic and compliance), and representation of TFHO’s activities in Ghana and international forums. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Lead the team to develop a robust and creative vision for supporting universal health coverage in Ghana delivered through social enterprise approaches;
- Leadership of a senior management team including departmental heads of teams responsible for: marketing and communications; technical services; sales; strategic evidence and research; finance & administration; and human resources;
- Manage, grow, and supervise the current social marketing product portfolio while expanding the portfolio in a manner that strategically responds to health needs and market opportunities in Ghana;
- Manage TFHO staff to ensure that current projects deliver to expectations, meet or exceed targets, advance the field, and demonstrate TFHO’s commitment to health in Ghana;
- Oversee in-country personnel recruitment, training, and supervision of a quickly growing start-up organization with a strong emphasis on delivering excellence and enhancing synergies among technical and support functions.
- Collaborate closely with TFHO board of directors to ensure TFHO meets its statutory and governance requirements in Ghana; communicate effectively with the board to ensure the board is able to make timely and well-informed decisions;
- Liaise with PSI/ HQ as an independent member of the Population Services International (PSI) global network, and other PSI network members to add value to TFHO and share TFHO’s experiences across the network
- Continually identify key risks for TFHO and develop mitigation plans as appropriate in coordination with the TFHO Board of Directors.
- Perform other senior management duties as requested by the TFHO Board of Directors
Required Skills or Experience
- Relevant university degree required, and post-graduate degree preferred (MBA, MPA, MPH, MD, PhD); special consideration will be given to candidates with a proven track record that combines strong management and technical skills;
- At least ten years’ management/work experience in Ghana, (experience working in sub-Saharan Africa countries also valuable);
- Deep understanding of the current Ghana and wider West Africa regional funding landscape, with strong networking relationships with key donors and stakeholders, including USAID, DFID, GAC, government representatives, international and local NGOs, and commercial entities;
- Demonstrated experience working in a high-pressure start-up environment;
- Astute representational skills for building and maintaining partnerships with government representatives, funders, local organizations, and other key stakeholders;
- A collaborative spirit to work in close strategic and operational coordination with the leadership of PSI in Washington as well as other PSI country programs in West Africa and in other middle-income countries;
- A synergistic vision to recognize shared risk and work across teams and the PSI global network to find solutions to complex challenges;
- Significant fundraising, personnel and financial management experience;
- Knowledge of international development and health issues, particularly family planning and reproductive health and ideally to include water and sanitation, malaria, and primary care, as well as familiarity with USAID and other international donors;
- Proven ability to manage and mentor staff as well as to transfer coaching skills to supervisors;
- Proven leadership demeanor: calm under pressure, diplomatic, and decisive;
- Fluency in English with excellent writing skills;
- Proficiency in word processing, the use of Excel, and data analysis.
- Ghanaian Citizenship
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and a CV to: [email protected]
- Deadline for application: Tuesday, 30th of April 2019
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for further recruitment
- Immediate hiring after the selection process
- For more information about TFHO, please consult www.tfhoghana.org