Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Job Title: Graduate Recruitment
- The program is intended for recent graduates who wish to follow a 3-yr on-the-job training. Candidates will be attached to various sections of the underground workforce to assist in delivering assigned jobs and at the same time learn how to execute assignments as per Newmont /AUMS Standard.
- Towards the later part of the program they will have the opportunity to work with the technical and production team to appreciate and gain some experience with the various software and their applications in the underground mining environment.
- Take instructions from Underground Mine Manager (UGM) or his representative
- Assist his/her team to achieve set work targets assigned by the UGM or his representative
- Ability to work effectively as a competent team member
- Must be prepared to do any duties that maybe assigned by the UGM or his reps.
- Follow strictly the program drawn for the Graduate Learnership Program(GLP)
- He/she is liable to inform his mentor after each and every task is completed.
- Candidates will be assessed as per schedule drawn by L&D SUGSafety and Environment:
- Must be prepared to work in a shift roster
- Participate and contribute to safe practice and environmental awareness.
- Actively participate in all Newmont Ghana safety and environmental systems and initiatives.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and action that is appropriately taken.
- Maintenance of a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raising, discussion and resolution of safety issues at regular meetings.
- Follow strictly all Newmont or business partner procedures
Training & Experience
- Tertiary qualifications in Mining Engineering, Geology and Mine Survey
- Previous UG mining experience through vacation training may be an advantage
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access)
- Must possess driving license “C” or acquire one within 6 months after the commencement of the programme