Ubongo is building brains and building change for families across Africa through fun edutainment on accessible technologies. We’re a social enterprise founded and based in Dar es Salaam, and we broadcast our shows Akili and Me and Ubongo Kids across the continent. We’re getting ready to expand our offices and operations into new markets, so we’re looking for energetic and self-starting new Ubongoers to join the team as we grow. Working here won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you, with lots of responsibility, plenty of fun, and the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
Job Title: Education/Translation Specialist
We are looking for a creative EDUCATION CONSULTANT to work with us to adapt our educational media to Kikuyu, Luo, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Kinyarwanda and Twi and ensure that dubbed and adapted content meets our educational objectives.
SOME OF YOUR TASK WILL BE:
- Training with Ubongo to understand Ubongo branding and content.
- Translate content into local language according to the learning objectives as set by Ubongo, and work with our production team to adapt visuals to meet learning objectives as needed.
- Create and maintain a working system whereby the translations and dubbing are checked by multiple parties to ensure authenticity and quality control.
- Oversee dubbing and adaptation progress from translation to audio output as well as any visual translations needed i.e. labels or names that need to be changed within the animation.
- Quality control of products
- Scheduling/ organizing translation workshops in your local language
- Finishing tasks within the deadline.
- Feedback to Chief Product Officer: problems, resolutions, steps taken, new ideas, i.e. daily/bi-weekly progress as scheduled.
TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED TO:
- Be fluent in written and spoken English and one or more of the languages mentioned above.
- Familiarity and deep understanding of pre-primary and/or primary curriculum and pedagogy in one of the languages mentioned above, especially in early literacy, language acquisition and STEM subjects.
- Minimum BA degree in any field involving essay or creative writing or linguistics.
- Proof of creative writing skills including but not limited to scripts, books, portfolio of essays, grant applications etc
- Have experience managing teams and timelines.
- Have a can-do attitude and readiness to learn on the job as we create an innovative new educational service.
- Have a passion for UBONGO’s vision of using media to transform education in East Africa.
- Be a persistent but empathetic pusher. We’ve got to get things DONE.
- Good at dealing with ambiguity and able to figure things out for yourself.
- Honest, trustworthy, transparent and conscientious.
Phew! You made it through that. The good thing is that there are also perks, like watching cartoons at work.