Posted on :
16 Aug, 2018
16 Aug, 2018
UNESCO and the International Task Force on Teachers for Education 2030, in collaboration with 6 international partner organizations [Education International (EI), the Global Partnership for Education (GPE), the International Labour Organization (ILO), UNHCR, UNICEF, and the World Bank] have developed the Initiative: “Strengthening Multi-Partner Cooperation to Support Teacher Policy and Improve Learning”. The Initiative aims to coordinate a harmonized multi-partner approach to support selected developing countries in Africa in strengthening their teacher policies as integrated components of their education sector plans for the achievement of the teacher target of SGD 4.
The Initiative targets four developing countries in Africa: Burkina Faso, Ghana, Malawi and Uganda. Of paramount importance is the countries’ engagement in choice and focus of interventions throughout the duration of the Initiative. To ensure full country ownership, the countries’ participation in the design, implementation and monitoring of the activities is essential for the success of the Initiative. As UNESCO is coordinating the initiative at global level with UNICEF as the country project lead agency for Ghana, the UNESCO Office in Accra, in consultation with the Section for Teacher Development will liaise with the UNICEF Country Office in Ghana for the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the project in Ghana.
Title: NATIONAL ASSOCIATE PROJECT OFFICER
Grade: NOB (Only nationals of Ghana may apply for this post)
Duty Station: Accra, Ghana
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Duration: 12 months, with possibility of extension depending on availability of funds and performance (6 months probationary period)
Annual salary: 96,423 Cedi
II. Duties and requirements
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Office in Accra, the supervision of the National Programme Officer for Education in Accra and in close consultation with the Project Coordinator in Paris, the incumbent will be responsible for the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the Initiative in Ghana and undertake the following tasks and responsibilities:
• Assist with the coordination and management of project activities in Ghana: In consultation with the national focal point, ensure quality achievements of the project outputs in line with the Initiative’s Results Framework and UNESCO qualitative standards. Design a detailed work plan and assuring regular monitoring of the implementation activities. Identify project implementation partners and service providers, and ensure their engagement in project’s activities. Draft terms of reference and identify contractors for the local contracts, assuring that UNESCO rules of procurement procedures are respected. Ensure capacity development of national stakeholders in all activities. Follow–up on the implementation of the contracts, assessing the quality of services provided, undertaking corrective actions when necessary and requesting disbursement of funds. Maintain regular relations with the national counterparts and the key stakeholders (Ministries, regional and local authorities, etc.). Assist in the preparation of and follow-up to meetings at national level. Liaise with UNESCO’s entities and networks to support the planning, implementation and monitoring of the project. Assist in the preparation of conceptual documents, strategic papers, work plan templates, tools and guidance notes. Provide country-specific input to reports for UNESCO, the donor and project partners, and to evaluations.
• Assist in monitoring progress and performance of the Initiative: Daily monitor and regularly evaluate project activities, reporting on the progress achieved and suggesting updates of the project log frame. Present aggregate strategic analysis on project performance based on commitment of partners, progress in implementation of activities outputs. Regularly conduct meetings with the project stakeholders, preparing minutes of meetings and action plans with clear responsibilities and timeframe. Conduct periodic project reviews with the governmental counterparts and other partners, recording the results of the review meetings in minutes, reports and formulation of the action plans. Foster exchanges of information and lessons learned, identifying new strategies and actions to improve delivery of services and to achieve the project objectives.
• Assist in the coordination and monitoring of the financial aspects of the Initiative: Draft contractual arrangements with service providers (partner organizations, ministries, teacher organizations, research institutions, individual national experts, etc.) for activities to be conducted at country level, based on work plans budget allocation and assuring that UNESCO applicable rules and procedures are respected. Monitor and report on the Initiative budget, using appropriate administrative tools and channels within UNESCO internal administrative units.
• Provide assistance to increasing the visibility of the Initiative: Prepare country-specific technical briefs/status updates on the project for wider dissemination (UNESCO and partners websites). Assist in the preparation of annual donor and partner meetings, as well as any other event related to the Initiative. Ensure timely updating of the Initiative’s communications and assist in the production of communication materials (publications, brochures, etc.) in coordination with partner organizations and colleagues in the field. Organize communication events (seminars and workshops) and liaising with local media. Prepare necessary press release and outreach materials, ensuring that the major events have necessary press coverage. Provide country-specific web content on major project’s achievements and milestones in project implementation.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Core Competencies:
• Results focus
• Planning and organizing
• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
Qualification Required & Experience
• Advanced university degree (Masters level or equivalent) in education, social sciences, development studies, international affairs, management studies, or related areas.
• Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field of education, programme coordination and management, preferably in the area of teachers.
• Experience in management of education programmes (planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting).
• Experience in working with Government and high-level development partners and international/national Non-Governmental Organizations.
Skills and competencies
• Strong knowledge of the country context, with a particular focus on education, sector planning, teachers, local governance and civil society.
• Excellent organizational, networking and partnership building skills, tact and diplomacy.
• Familiarity with the administrative procedures of UN organizations, preferably UNESCO;
• Strong strategic and analytical skills.
• Proven excellent oral, written and communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize to adjust work schedules and deliver timely results.
• Ability to work with a wide range of high-level partners.
• Good computer and other IT skills including excellent skills in MS office.
• Knowledge of financial tools such as SAP.
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English.
• Previous experience with UN agencies and understanding of the UN System.
• Experience in the education sector planning, management, and implementation of project in education, with a clear understanding of the development work.
• Experience in training, coordination and/or institutional and human capacity building.
Skills and competencies
• Ability to engage and form effective working relationships with counterparts.
• Proven ability to work within limited time constraints in the preparation of high quality products.
• Proven ability to work in a politically complex, unstable and sometimes insecure environment.
• Good knowledge of French and national languages.
• An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your application letter, UNESCO CV (CV Form to be used), in English by email with the subject “Application NOB Ghana (NTI)” to: [email protected]
Closing Date: 22 August, 2018