Posted on :
31 Aug, 2018
31 Aug, 2018
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant (Programme Secretary)
Note: This is a Fixed Term appointment for a minimum of one year (renewable) and it is based in Accra.
You are expected to achieve the following key results:
• Provide overall administrative and secretarial support to the programme unit.
• Screen and log incoming correspondence and distributes to the relevant staff. Reviews correspondence and follows up on urgent and important responses. Drafts responses to correspondences when appropriate.
• Schedule meetings for the Deputy Representative and Assistant Representative and maintains their calendars.
• Draft and type routine correspondence, reports, briefs, and other documentation. Assists in the preparation of legal documents such as LoUs and MoUs.
• Maintain a central filing system for the programme unit in accordance with established classification systems. Files all correspondence in the programmes unit. Updates inventory of files in the CO and informs staff members accordingly.
• Support the drafting and finalisation of CPs, CPAP, AWPs and budgets.
• Responds to calls and other requests from IPs, government agencies, UN agencies, etc. Where technical assistance is needed, all calls are referred to the focal points.
• Support and participate in the organisation of population-related events (such as WPD). Prepares invitations to UNFPA events to all relevant attendees (government agencies, ministries, departments, NGOs, CSO and other implementing agencies).
• Organize and provide logistical support to meetings, conferences and workshops for the programme unit and implementing agencies; initiates and coordinates the preparation of the agenda and necessary documentation; and provides secretarial support during the meetings, conferences and workshops (such as minute taking).
People Management & Leadership:
• Coach new staff in the programme unit on day-to-day administrative procedures in the unit.
• Follows up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of reports to the Deputy Representative and Assistant Representative.
• Monitors programme staff attendance; and ensures the timely communication of staff absences in the office to management.
Qualification Required and Experience
• Diploma or equivalent in secretarial studies, administration or any other relevant field.
• Having a first degree in a relevant field would be an added advantage.
• Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in a similar position in a public or private sector organisation.
• Minimum of 1-2 years working with an UN agency or international institution.
• Knowledge of the United Nations systems and procedures would be an advantage.
• Fluency in oral and written English.
Your Computer Skills:
• Expertise in current office software applications.
• Proficiency in Atlas, PeopleSoft, and other computerized applications used by the UN.
How to Apply
Applications to be addressed to the Representative at: [email protected] Completion of United Nations Personal History form (P11) is mandatory. Click Below To Download Form
Closing Date:04 September, 2018
Only shortlisted applicants would be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process. UNFPA is an equal opportunities employer and therefore encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.