Posted on :
31 Aug, 2018
31 Aug, 2018
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Job Title: Administrative Assistant (Operations Secretary)
Note: This is a Fixed Term appointment for a minimum of one year (renewable) and it is based in Accra.
You are expected to achieve the following key results:
• Provides administrative and secretarial support to the operations unit in particular and the country office in general
• Screens and logs incoming correspondence and distributes to the relevant staff. Reviews correspondence and follows up on urgent and important responses. Drafts responses to correspondences when appropriate.
• Drafts and types routine correspondence, reports, briefs, and other documentation.
• Maintains a central filing system for the operations unit in accordance with established classification systems. Files all correspondence in the operations unit. Updates inventory of files in the CO and informs staff members accordingly.
• Makes use of relevant automated office management systems for effective functioning of the programme unit.
• Prepares all outgoing correspondence for dispatch and monitors their deliveries
Operations Unit Support:
• Supports operational processes and procedures of the CO to facilitate programme delivery. Provides support to the operations unit by coordinating and monitoring relevant business processes, procedures and activities; paying attention to detail and adhering to deadlines.
• Coordinates all travel related arrangements; including travel authorizations, security clearances, processing of relevant payments, booking of tickets and hotels, obtainment of visas, registration and hotel booking at destination, arranging transportation, settling F-10/reimbursable claims, preparing semi-annual and annual travel reports, and other related tasks.
• Develops tools and mechanisms for effective and efficient monitoring of travel plans and budgets, coordinates the compilation of administrative and financial data in relation to travel, and provides accurate and up-dated information to the Operations Manager on a continuous basis.
• Coordinates logistics and management of the schedule for incoming missions and international meetings hosted by UNFPA Ghana, including the processing of VIP arrangements for high-level officials, and managing protocol requirements.
• Organizes and provides logistical support to meetings, conferences and workshops for the operations unit; initiates and coordinates the preparation of the agenda and necessary documentation; and provides secretarial support during the meetings, conferences and workshops (such as minute taking).
• Assists with the procurement of office supplies; including fulfilling the “requisitioner” function in Atlas, obtaining quotes for services, and supporting procurement evaluation committees. Assists in the receipt and checking of procurements.
• Raises requisitions for office supplies and equipment and maintains an up-to-date stock inventory file for the country office stationery and supplies.
• Makes minor repairs to office equipment (where appropriate).
People Management & Leadership:
• Coaches new staff on day-to-day administrative procedures in the operations unit.
• Participates in Learning Afternoon sessions.
• Actively participates in Country Office and operations unit team meetings.
• Supervises the cleaners.
• Supervises the drivers
Qualification Required & Experience
• Diploma or equivalent in secretarial studies, administration or any other relevant field.
• Having a first degree in a relevant field would be an added advantage.
• Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience in a similar position in a public or private sector organisation
• Knowledge of the United Nations systems and procedures would be an advantage.
• Fluency in oral and written English.
Your Computer Skills:
• Expertise in current office software applications.
• Proficiency in Atlas, PeopleSoft, and other computerized applications used by the UN.
How to Apply
Applications to be addressed to the Representative at: [email protected] Completion of United Nations Personal History form (P11) is mandatory. Click Below To Download Form
Closing Date:04 September, 2018 Only shortlisted applicants would be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process. UNFPA is an equal opportunities employer and therefore encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.