Posted on :
26 Feb, 2014
26 Feb, 2014
Post Title: “Rapid Assessment of Drinking Water Quality in Ghana”
Type of contract: Consultancy
Duration: 10 months
Duty Station: Accra
Job Level: Senior Consultant
• Carry Out a Rapid Assessment of Drinking Water Quality in Ghana and Develop a Drinking Water Quality Management Framework (DWQF) for the WASH Sector
Duties and Responsibilities
• Desk review of the results of drinking water quality surveys/ related studies carried out, particularly in the past 10 years. This would include a review of the results of the Water Quality module of the Ghana Living Standards Survey, The study would be aimed at identifying:
1) Major drinking water quality issues recorded or evident from the documentation
2) Possible trends and sources of contamination
• Preliminary review of existing policy, strategies, systems, and frameworks for the management of drinking water and water safety in Ghana.
• Review of the scope of the assignment for final confirmation with MWRWH and WASH, UNICEF.
• Detailed consultations with key MDAs, MMDAs and organisations identified through the desk study en their roles, mandates and institutional collaboration, as well as, an assessment of the key focus and orientation of drinking water qualitymanagement in Ghana,
• A Preliminary assessment of the assigned and assumed roles of the key stakeholders, as well as effectiveness ;n these roles.
• An overall assessment of the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats teffective drinking water quality management in Ghana, considering alssuch factors as the reliability of safe ‘water supply.
• Identification of major Institutional and logistical challenges tkey function ofdrinking water quality management in the country, and recommendations taddress these gaps.
• Presentation of the findings of the assessment tthe core technical group convened by the MWRWH for feedback.
• Analysis tidentify context-relevant recommendations taddress the key institutional and logistical gaps identified, as well as mechanisms for more effective collaboration and coordination.
• Formulation of a National Drinking Water Quality Management Framework identifying and proposing /clarifying:
1) key risks tbe managed at national and subnational level
2) major, priority drinking water quality management functions and roles for the country
3) key roles, institutional linkages and coordination mechanisms tbe established, strengthened or maintained
• Specific capacity requirements i.e. policies, tools, logistics and expertise (knowledge and skills), for the effective operationalization of the Framework (including water safety frameworks).
• Presentation of the Draft National Drinking Water Quality Management Framework tthe core technical group convened by the MWRWH for feedback.
• Finalisation of the Framework, factoring in comments from the core technical group and other key stakeholders.
Qualification Required & Experience
Advanced university degree – An advanced university degree in Water and Sanitation/ Civil Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Public Health, Project Management, Sociology or any WASH/ Programme/ Emergency Management related discipline
• A minimum of 7 years post qualification experience in the WASH sector, working with government at the policy/ strategy level, in the development of policies, guidelines and frameworks, process facilitation, and with sector coordination mechanisms,
• Related experience in water quality management and. or water safety management would be a clear advantage.
• Strong track record in relating and networking and analytical skills.
• Strategic thinking and conceptual skills.
• Excellent skiils in computer software applications including MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power Point.
• Languages Fluency in written and spoken English required.
How To Apply For The Job
The above is a short description of the consultancy. A detailed TOR is available upon request from UNICEF. Interested candidates should send an email request to:-
Detailed curriculum vitae in English with duly completed UN Personal History Form (available at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc) should be sent to the e-mail.
Applications submitted without the P11 form will not be considered
Closing Date: 26 February, 2014
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
NOTE: UNICEF IS A SMOKE FREE ENVIRONMENT!!!!!!