The CD Finance Officer’s primary responsibility is to provide management decision support to ensure we maximize the return on our CD investments and to contribute to value creation through Customer Development Function.
The CD Finance Officer w orks primarily with the Customer Development Team (composed of channel and customer/channel marketing directors) and from time to time with Area Managers, Customer/Distributor Managers, Group Customer/Channel Marketing Managers, Customer/Channel Marketing Managers, and Field Execution Managers
The CD Finance Officer is also responsible for oversight of the Order to Cash Process and working with various stakeholders to drive efficiencies and transparency in the O2C process with the aim of keeping overdue debt levels within targets.
Job Title: Customer Development Finance Officer
- Trade, Channel & Customer Strategy and Business Planning:
- Partners with CD to ensure CD plans are aligned to the Integrated Business Planning process of Unilever
- Brand, Customer & Channel Audits – Leads and consolidates CD Finance auditinputsto be incorporated into the overall Finance Audit for BMP and for CD Finance inputs to Channel, Trade Category Plans (TCP) and Customer/Distributor Business Plans. CD Finance inputs to the audits are: trade marketing investment (TTS+TA&P) analysis, promotion and customer/trade marketing activity effectiveness evaluations and learnings, customer/channel profitability (Gold, Silver, Bronze), trade/retailer profitability, competitive trade profitability, trade value chain, CCFOT analysis, debtor days performance and summary of opportunities and issues to help shape channel and overall brand/category strategies. Ensures customer & channel audits include insights from shopper research and retail trends.
- Jobs-to-be-Done (J2BD) Setting – participates in the J2BD setting process of trade/channel strategy planning to ensure objectives are measurable and aligned to financial targets in the Annual/Stretch Plan, CD SIA and alignment to the BMP/NCBP.
- Think Big & Think Tight – Ensure proposed channel and customer proposals are strategically aligned, deliver brand, customer and shopper benefits;
- Integrate – Aligns with BB Finance partners and with the Integrated Business Planning team to ensure that channel, shopper and brand inputs are integrated into a common plan for action. Once the BMP & TCP are finalized and fed into the Annual/Stretch Plan, reviews consolidated budgets and approves per area/channel and/or customer budgets before CD budgets are released to Field; Ensures CD’s annual budgets have clear priorities and KPIs.
- Sets the tone over Trade Terms and Trade Marketing Investment Management
- Strategic Alignment : Ensures CD promotions are integrated and aligned with the category and channel J2BD;
- Effectiveness : Ensures trade marketing investment create value for Unilever driving accountability and deliver of business results (Win With Customers); Includes driving differentiated trade marketing investments across the channels (Strategic Investing for Growth)
- Efficiency : drives opportunities for spending efficiencies to ensure accuracy, reliability, and timeliness of trade funds management processes; Ensures minimal to zero write-backs and promotions are fully funded; Includes establishing avenues to provide CD with visibility over status of spend and budgets;
- Technology Foundation & Delivery : Ensure full utilization and improvements to OPSO Light Plus (promo funds management system) deliver timely and relevant trade terms spend monitoring and visibility over effectiveness of trade/ customer marketing spend;
- SCOA Compliance : Drives compliance of activity terms and promo spend to Customer Standard Chart of Accounts (CSCOA) and Global Trade Terms Policy.
- Forecasting : develop CD and CD Finance’s capability to forecast CD-led TTS and TA&P spend (from quarter to 6 months to 12-18 months); Accountable for ensuring forecast accuracy and zero bias (at aggregate category and brand spend level)
- Dynamic Resource Allocation : Ensures monies are available to channels/customers/categories which need it the most; Regularly reviews and aligns spend to category performance, especially variable terms/investments;
- Budget Control : Approves budget addendum (add, reduction, transfers) and facilitates budget asks of CD to S&OP and/or Category Boards
- Training : accountable for step changing CD capability in SIFG and (finance-related) WwC agenda. Drive development of training programs/material on Global Trade Terms Policy Awareness, CSCOA/Customer P&L, Promo Evals/OPSO framework, ROI Training, and Trade (retailer) Profitability Training.
- Ensures CD delivers a positive return on trade marketing investment by establishing the OPSO (Optimizing Promotional Sell-Out) Framework in CD:
- KPI Setting : Promotions contain clear measurable qualitative and financial KPIs linked to Business results (ie. TO growth, ROI, Forecast Accuracy);
- Evaluation : Establish formal avenues and processes that enable regular review and approval of promotions, fully supported with a clear business case (pre-evaluation); Ensures 50% to 90% of promotions (TTS Business Building, CPP & PE spend) are
- evaluated regularly and that a minimum of 10 percentage points improvement in ROI is delivered year-on-year;
- Technology Foundation & Delivery : Ensures consistency of the use of a common tool for evaluations and properly documented through a common platform (e.g. OPSO Light Plus) used by finance partners and all relevant CD functional teams (e.g. CMD and CMD);
- Sharing of Learnings : Drives a common process across CD to to review and share learnings.
- Continuous Improvement : Drives improvement in execution of future promotions based on learnings drawn from past promotions.
- Supports overall price setting process by incorporating trade profitability insights to pricing decisions
- Reviews compliance of CD to pricing actions.
- Results Reporting and Analysis:
- Prepares and analyzes Trade spend on assigned categories and channels on an accurate, relevant and timely manner to provide visibility to the Board and CDLT over trade marketing spend against budget and forecast
- Reports to the CDLT (and to the Board as needed) customer performance, including distributor profitability.
- Systems Development Support
Works with IT and business partners to support development of systems and technologies that will enable key innovative business partnering processes.
- Order to Cash Process Oversight and Management
- Drives efficiencies in A/R Management process through process change by working with cross functional process owners and stakeholders.
- Interface with Customers and CD on key A/R matters and agree with customers on ways on working with respect to A/R reconciliations.
- Ensure that like to like matching of promotions deductions v. commitments.
- Drive transparency of key KPIs in Order to Cash Process and hold stakeholders accountable for the delivery of KPIs.
- CD Leadership Team
- Finance Leadership Team
- BB Finance
- Category Team(s)
- ULP Board of Directors
Critical success Factors for the Job
- Intermediate to Advanced Accounting/Finance Skills
- Advanced Financial Analysis Skills
- Business Partnering Soft Skills
- Working Knowledge of Innovative Business Partnering (IBP) Tools
- Graduate of any Business Course, with Finance and Accounting units
- Up to 2 years category/customer management accounting experience (as Assistant Manager)
- Exposure and actual experience on customer management is an advantage