Posted on :
10 Feb, 2023
10 Feb, 2023
The University of Ghana hereby invites applications from suitably qualified persons to occupy the Bank of Ghana Chair in Finance and Economics, based in the Department of Finance, the University of Ghana Business School (UGBS), and the Department of Economics.
POSITION: Occupant of the Bank of Ghana Chair in Finance and Economics
ACADEMIC UNIT: Department of Finance, UGBS, and Department of Economics
REPORTING TO: The Dean, UGBS and the Head, Department of Economics
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
During the tenure as Occupant of the Bank of Ghana Chair in Finance and Economics, the successful applicant will be required to:
• Conduct research jointly approved with the Bank of Ghana;
• Work closely with faculty members to develop grant-seeking proposals to drive the research agenda of UGBS and the Department of Economics;
• Conduct research in the areas of financial intermediation, monetary policy, fiscal policy, and financial regulation, commissioned by the Bank of Ghana;
• Conduct other research and responsibilities that will be policy-relevant and promote industry growth;
• Disseminate research findings through high-quality publications in refereed journals and participate in local and international conferences/seminars/symposia;
• Deliver public lectures, policy briefs, and seminars;
• Organize short courses and training programs for professionals in banking and finance, and policy-related aspects of economics;
• Moderate roundtable discussions or brainstorming sessions on emerging developments in financial intermediation, monetary policy, fiscal policy, and financial regulation in the world and Ghana
• Teach and supervise graduate students in the areas of banking, finance, and economics;
• Facilitate program review and curriculum development in finance and economics to the highest standards;
• Develop a strong finance and economics research group in the University of Ghana Business School and the Department of Economics and provide leadership for same;
• Prepare case studies and teaching notes on banking, finance, and economics using Ghanaian cases for instruction at the graduate level;
• Forge strong links between UGBS, the Department of Economics, and the Bank of Ghana as well as the financial services industry in Ghana;
• Submit an annual report on the activities of the Chair through the UGBS and Department of Economics to the Bank of Ghana.
Qualification Required & Experience
The successful applicant must:
• be of professorial status from an academic/research institution or a person from industry eligible for that status.
• have published widely in high-impact factor peer-reviewed publications with a decent citation record
• be capable of providing academic leadership, especially in the area of teaching, research, and extension in economics and/or finance particularly in areas including monetary policy, fiscal policy, financial intermediation, and financial regulation.
• provide evidence of managerial and administrative leadership and capacity to promote a collegial working environment in the University.
The occupant of the Chair should be able to serve a term of a minimum of two years and not more than three years.
• Salary and salary supplementation
• Research and administrative support
• Furnished office as well as secretarial/research staff support
• Appropriate passages to assume duty/on departure at the end of the appointment
• Appropriate residential accommodation for which utilities will be catered for
• Provision of vehicle for fieldwork and day-to-day running of the Office of the Chair
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants are required to submit the complete application pack addressed to? the Registrar, University of Ghana, through
firstname.lastname@example.org (Electronic copy only).
The application pack should be submitted as a single PDF file and should contain the following:
• Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd
• A curriculum vitae and cover letter addressing the qualifications of the position, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and evidence of scholarship, including prior publications.
• A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how one intends to use the period in office to address relevant issues.
• Contact information for three references
An offer of employment for this position is contingent on satisfactory completion of the University’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or University policies or practices, including but not limited to a criminal background check. It is the policy of the University of Ghana to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees.
Closing Date: 15 March 2023
Qualified females are encouraged to apply.