The full-time Project Coordinator and Communications Officer will provide administrative, project management and logistical support to the Ghana Sentinel project team (60-70% of the time) and lead the project’s communications and stakeholder engagement activities in Ghana (30-40% of the time). The job holder will report to and be supervised by the Co-Investigator at the Department of Soil Science, University of Ghana. The project started in October 2017 and will end in December 2021.
He/ She shall get himself/ herself acquainted with key project documents to understand the themes and scope of the Sentinel project, while performing administrative duties, communications and coordination roles. This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic international team on an exciting topic.
Job Title: Communications and Liaison Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
These will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordination and management of project activities, resources, equipment and information to ensure smooth and efficient day-to-day operations of research and other related project activities (60-70% of time) by:
- Handling daily project secretarial and administrative duties
- Organising and managing project data
- Preparing agenda, organising project meetings and taking minutes
- Organising project events such as workshops, side events, etc., with inputs from the project researchers (who would be in charge of the technical content)
- Sending reminders of meetings and responsibilities to Sentinel team members
- Managing and responding to project-related emails and letters
- Keeping records of costs and expenditure in order to prepare financial reports of the project budget
- Managing procurement of project materials
- Preparing requests for funds from the Office of Research, Innovation and Development (ORID) and acquire project supplies under the guidance of the Team Leader
- Assisting the Team Leader to prepare progress reports for Sentinel Global Designing and drafting contracts and terms of reference for specific consultancy services
- Working with the project MEL (Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning) advisory to monitor and update the project work plan
- Making travel arrangements / flight bookings / visa etc for team members and organise accommodation and transport for project visitors.
- Serving as a Communications Officer by performing the following roles (30-40% of time):
- Implement the project’s communications strategy in Ghana
- Participate in the Sentinel community of practice (this includes the communications officers in Ethiopia, Zambia and the UK) – some of this may involve international travel
- Gather contact details for key contacts for a Sentinel database of stakeholders
- Pro-actively manage Sentinel’s stakeholder engagement in Ghana by building relationships with key stakeholders and understanding their interests
- Lead in developing project-specific communication materials and ensure their dissemination to relevant stakeholders
- Manage general publicity of project content and goals in Ghana
- Develop and maintain strong media ties to confirm widespread outreach of project themes and content to stakeholders and the general public
- Develop and write creative content for the Sentinel website as required (with support from the Ghana Sentinel research team).
- Undertake any other duties compatible with this role assigned by the Co-Investigator.
Qualifications & Experience
|Essential (please do NOT apply if you do not meet these requirements)
||Desirable / of advantage
|A good Bachelor’s degree in a project-relevant field (social sciences, economics, agriculture, environmental sciences, forestry, geography or similar)
||A post-graduate qualification in project management and / or communications
|A minimum of two (2) years of working experience in a project coordination / project management / communications role (involving most of the duties and responsibilities outlined above)
||5 or more years of experience in managing large, complex projects
- A proven track record in effective project activity
- Proven track record of communications experience – writing and developing copy, familiarity with online platforms, marketing and networking