Posted on :
24 Jan, 2022
24 Jan, 2022
The University of Ghana Computing Systems provides the IT services that the University of Ghana requires to fulfil its mission to be a world-class centre for research and teaching. UGCS provides innovative services and projects to support learning, teaching and research in response to the changing demands and trends in the IT ecosystem.
In order to more effectively carry out this mandate, applications are invited to fill the following Senior Member positions:
JOB TITLE: Storage Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Infrastructure and Security Services Division
REPORTS TO: Head of System Administration
• The role of a Storage Specialist has become critical in the changing dynamics at UG’s Data centre as we migrate from the traditional data centre to Hyperconverged Infrastructure with multiple Virtual Machines to manage working on near-line and flash storage for maximum availability and reliability.
• The synergy required to understand and operate the various new technology platforms and integrate same to achieve business continuity and stability has brought to the fore, the need for a versatile personality with skills required to manage and maintain data storage within centres across the business sites into a software defined data centre with converged and hyperconverged infrastructure to operate
• Performs upgrades, assists, and works with the Datacentre specialist to restore issues, maintains data centre documentation, tracks physical data centre inventories, and maintains disaster recovery processes for future references. Performs installation, configuration, setup, testing and operational support for enterprise Storage and Backup solutions.
• Collaborates with team members and leadership to develop road maps and strategies for the Storage and Backup Infrastructure
• Performs patch and firmware management
• Performs Storage life-cycle management
• Performs business continuity and disaster recovery testing
Essential Knowledge, Experience & Qualifications:
• Working experience designing, integrating, monitoring, and managing end-to-end Storage and Backup infrastructure
• Experience with working in large complex computing and storage organization – OS, VMware, SAN/Storage and Backup/Recovery Administration.
• Performs installation, configuration, setup, testing and operational support for enterprise Storage and Backup solutions.
• Collaborate with team members and leadership to develop road maps and strategies for the Storage and Backup Infrastructure.
• Working experience with HPE storage and 3PAR, DELL/EMC, Data Domain File shares.
• Experience in setting up File Shares and distributed File system shares.
• Working experience troubleshooting storage issues.
• Working experience configuring replication devices and performing replication tests.
• Working experience monitoring storage performance.
• Working experience with UNIX and Windows Engineering and administration to support all Windows and UNIX based server hardware and Operating Systems.
• VEEM deployment and support for real time backup
• Proficiency in datacentre migrations and consolidations including capacity planning, virtualization, and best practices.
• Working experience with Automation tools like Ansible, Chef and Puppet.
• Knowledge with Cloud Technologies preferred – Azure and GCP.
• Participate in 24X7 on-call support to provide advance support to critical issues affecting business continuity.
• Working experience with UNIX Shell, Python and/or PowerShell scripting.
• Manages third party suppliers in an infrastructure project.
• Essential Knowledge, Experience & Qualifications – Working experience with power/electrical.
• Working experience with wiring/cabling.
• Working experience with network Data Centre operation.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Applicants must have a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Information Systems or related discipline. Having the following certifications would be an added advantage:
• Certified Information System Auditor
• Certificate in HPE Storage (3PAR) systems management.
• Certificate in HPE blade server systems management.
• Certificate in Opensource Datacentre virtualization.
• VMware Certification
• Sophos Unified Threat Management System Professional (Sophos UTM)
• Applicants should have at least 7 years of experience in Systems Administration Working experience progressively in complex compute and storage organization – OS, VMware, SAN/Storage and Backup/Recovery Administration.
How To Apply For The Job
An applicant for any of the positions is required to submit an application pack to
University of Ghana,
P. O. Box LG 25, Legon,
Accra, Ghana (Hardcopy)
[email protected] (Soft Copy).
The application pack should contain the following:
• Completed application form for Senior Administrative and Professional Staff Application: (UAB Form 1B) to be downloaded from the University’s website www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd
• An up to date Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant academic and/or professional certificates.
Closing Date: 31 January, 2022
Further information about the University of Ghana may be found on the University website at www.ug.edu.gh.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.