The University of Ghana is looking for dynamic, versatile and suitably-qualified persons to join the team at its re-structured Internal Audit Directorate, in the following Administrative/Professional position in the Central Administration.
Job Title: Internal Auditor / Internal Auditor with Quantity Surveying Background
REPORTING TO: Director, Internal Audit Directorate
Includes, but not limited to detecting and preventing of fraud; testing internal controls; and, monitoring compliance with institutional policy and government regulations.
This is to ensure that there is a fit for purpose and proactive compliance procedure which focuses on minimizing risk exposure whilst identifying opportunities to reduce potential negative incidents and losses as well as improve efficiencies.
The University of Ghana Environment
Academic work at the University of Ghana is organised in four colleges which have units across the Legon campus, Korle-Bu campus, Accra City Campus, the Research Centres in Kade, Kpong and Nungua as well as Learning Centres on sites in all the Regional Capitals. Academic work is supported by a Central Administration, providing institution-wide services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will be required to assist the Director of Internal Audit, University of Ghana, in his/her duties. He/she will also be responsible for:
- Leading a College audit team
- Conducting risk assessment of assigned department or functional area in established/required timeline;
- Establishing risk-based audit programs;
- Determining scope of review in conjunction with the Director of Audit;
- Reviewing the suitability of internal control design;
- Conducting audit testing of specified area and identifying reportable issues and dimension of risk;
- Determining compliance with policies and procedures;
- Verbally communicating findings to senior management and drafting comprehensive and complete report of audit area;
- Appraising members of an audit team;
- Ensuring appropriate and sufficient audit documentations are kept;
- Ensuring adherence to the University’s Audit Charter;
- Identifying and communicating control weaknesses and recommending solutions.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- The requirements for appointment to the level of Internal Auditor are normally a first degree and either a Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline or an equivalent professional qualification, with a minimum of two years financial experience, through public accounting/auditing and/or industry experience.
- Appointment may be made to the level of Junior Internal Auditor. The requirement shall be a good first degree plus an advanced degree in a relevant discipline or an equivalent professional qualification with less than two years relevant experience.
- Membership of a Professional Accounting/Auditing body is required for this appointment.
- Auditors with Quantity Surveying background must have managed projects, done project audits and be able to determine value for money
- Ability to handle confidential information;
- Strong analytical, written/verbal communication skills, a service-oriented communicator who is a true team player;
- Excellent interpersonal, and relationship building skills;
- Systems knowledge and familiarity, ability to streamline/automate transaction processing and recording;
- Ability to adapt to change quickly and multi-task;
- Ability to lead team administratively and professionally.