The Master Teacher/Trainer will be responsible for the delivery of teacher and leadership training, community training sessions as well as Maths, English, and after school sessions to students from the Varkey Foundation’s studios in Accra. The Master Teacher/Trainer will work in a team of education specialists to ensure the Varkey Foundation projects meet their expected educational outcomes. All Master Teacher/Trainers are collaborative members of the Education Team that develop and deliver a bespoke curriculum and associated pedagogy and adragogy appropriate for distance learning in rural Ghana. The role will be mainly based in the Varkey Foundation Office in Accra but will involve travel to other regions where the participating schools are located.
Job Title: Master Teacher/Trainer
Key Duties and Accountabilities
- Deliver and contribute to the design of the unique curriculum using appropriate student-centred distance learning pedagogy, demonstrating excellent subject knowledge.
- Plan and deliver quality, activity-based lessons to motivate students and meet the needs of targeted learners and teachers. Research, create and utilise appropriate materials and available digital content to cater for different learning styles.
- Show written evidence of planning and presentation preparation on request. Establish and maintain records of lesson plans, teaching resources, assessment data etc.
- Develop and utilise innovative assessment materials to ensure the curriculum meets the individual student’s needs and progress can be tracked and managed.
- Effectively use the technical studio equipment and digital materials.
- Interact collaboratively with other team members to ensure successful lesson delivery.
- Work alongside colleagues on the preparation and development of teaching materials, resources and courses of study, as well as participate in team and individual professional development.
- Model and encourage cultural awareness and understanding and promote a love of learning.
- Initiate effort and energy beyond the typical work day, where the tasks require additional commitment.
- Planning and organising educational programmes as assigned by line manager (forums, workshops, etc).
- Communicate frequently with school-based teachers to understand student progression at the school level, challenges and any additional support they may need.
- Measure performance of schools, teachers and pupils termly and communicate results.
- Communicate with GES where appropriate (e.g. Girls’ Education Officers, Head Teachers, Teachers) Design and deliver stakeholder engagement events.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Support termly monitoring and evaluation activities at our participating schools. Assessment and data collation.
Qualifications & Experience
- University degree in Education or related subject. A teaching qualification will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years’ teaching experience.
- Experience in distance learning and pro-girls’ education development projects and familiarity with the girls’ education and teacher training sectors in Ghana.
Key Skills & Competencies
- Strong lesson planning and curriculum development skills.
- Highly functional knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other ICT skills required.
- Ability to speak at least one of the dominant languages in the regions of operation.
- Skills and experience in external stakeholder engagement including donors, government and private sector and experiences with coordination of multi-stakeholder forums.
- Strong communication skills. Experience of presenting to camera will be an advantage.
- Skills in report writing and monitoring and evaluation.
- Self-starter and team player with high standards.
- Ability to multi task and work under some level of pressure.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment and with multi- and interdisciplinary teams.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a brief one page cover letter to [email protected],outlining your motivation and suitability for the role, no later than 5pm GMT on 27th August 2018.
Please note we will be interviewing candidates during this time, so early application is recommended
Please also note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will only be able to respond to successful candidates.