Vodafone Ghana, formerly Ghana Telecom, is the national telecommunications company of Ghana. In 2006, it had around 400,000 customers for fixed and mobile telephony and Internet services.
On 3 August 2008, it was announced that Vodafone had agreed to acquire 70% of Ghana Telecom from the Ghanaian government at a cost of US$900 million and a total enterprise value of approximately US$1.3 billion. After the transaction closed, Vodafone had a 70% stake in the company, while the Ghanaian government retained a 30% stake. The sale was supported by president John Agyekum Kufuor but strongly opposed by the opposition party which would win the presidential elections a few months later. The new president John Atta Mills, head of the National Democratic Congress party (NDC) also launched an investigation into the deal after being elected president a claiming that the government “did not get value for money”. Despite these claims Vodafone a few months later would write down the value of its stake in Ghana Telecom by £250m as the economic climate worsened, damaging the business’s prospects.
Job Title: Media & Online Manager
The Digital Manager will be responsible for promoting Vodafone products and services to reach consumers in a timely, relevant and cost-effective manner. He or she will also be responsible for setting the bar for strategic and creative thinking in digital and social media to contribute to a favorable external positioning of Vodafone as outstanding in Digital.
- Manage Vodafone digital properties strategically to fully harness its potential for improvement in commercial performance and brand equity. Ensure maximum ROI is achieved.
- Manage key marketing channels including social media, site updates, e-commerce, and mobile portal.
- Effectively integrate digital and social media campaigns into overall communication campaigns.
- Deploy content that builds engagement, differentiation and brand preference.
- Drive campaigns to ultimately achieve high levels of earned media.
- Lead innovation in the content development and make subsequent plan revisions for multiple campaigns and new initiatives.
- Informed decision making based on assessing new consumer/shopper trends through real-time data mining and interpretation of data
- Assist the Brand Manager in providing tools and training to ensure brand teams and agencies apply best practices.
- Maximize business value by using digital to drive cross-functional collaboration, sharing and where appropriate integration.
- Direct consumer interaction through real-time interactions (CRM, social media platforms, etc.) including crisis management.
Knowledge And Experience
- Strong Digital & Social Marketing expertise (3-5 years). Experience in Social Media and/or e-commerce.
- Marketing experience (3-5 years)
- Ability to analyze, interpret and react to real-time trends and data
- Proven track record in delivering complex digital marketing projects
- Has consistently demonstrated success in a number of challenging and diverse business situations
- Strategic vision on digital brand development
- Good Internet & social platforms technical and functional knowledge
- Experience in managing signals to interpret and react (real time analysis of trends and data, filtering, listening, adaptive – shorter lead times based on dynamic environmental changes)
- Project management skills
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to lead and manage cross-functional teams
Communication and Other Personal Skills
- Strong communication skills; Expert level oral and written English (or main local language).
- Strong presentation skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to manage stress and dynamic environmental changes
- Ability to manage ambiguity and “conditional” problem solving
- Strong influencing, negotiating and decision making skills
- Team player who is willing to work cross-functionally
- Approachability and conflict management skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset (creative thinking and innovation)