Responsible for planning, developing, and coordinating the safety and occupational health component of personnel, materials, equipment, and environments to achieve safety effectiveness for the company.
Job Title: Health, Safety & Wellbeing Specialist
Key accountabilities and decision ownership
- Assist Head of Health, Safety and Wellbeing in preparing safety policies and procedures; provides support in implementing these policies and procedures.
- To advise and assist all business functions in planning, organising, controlling and maintaining a safe and healthy environment for work.
- Ensure there is risk assessments for all projects and operational activities and appropriate H&S plans are available to control identified risks
- Coordinate the administrative and governance activities of local H&S team and ensure compliance with Group H&S policy standards, processes and procedures
- Responsible for communication to all stakeholders regarding benefits, including employees, line managers and executives
- Responsible for managing and establishing sound collaborative relationships with all relevant service providers
- Responsible to facilitate and coordinate Health and Safety forums
- To research and introduce new Health and Safety initiatives and programmes
- Prepare safety performance reports for consideration by the Operating Company and as part of the Group reporting requirements.
- Independently audit the health and safety performance and monitor Suppliers’ H&S Management Systems
- Support the planning and implementation of Organisational health & safety plans and management processes, and monitor performance against these
- Identify training needs of staff, conduct relevant training and liaise with managers to nominate staff for external training courses
- Enforce the adherence to existing incident reporting process and independently investigate incidents to determine root causes.
- Maintain the interface with Governmental and Industry bodies over new and developing legislation, and advise the business accordingly. Facilitate departmental evaluation and impact analysis.
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
- Risk management
- Management information systems
- Corporate communications
- Change management
- Performance management
- Relationship building
- Service provider management
- High level of numeracy
- At least 5 years applicable experience in HSW role
- Management experience
Must have technical / professional qualifications:
- A degree in Engineering, Sciences, Building Technology and related fields
- Minimum requirement in NEBOSH IGC,
- Added advantage is NEBOSH diploma
- Knowledge in ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001:2007
- Member of a professional H&S body