Vodafone Ghana, formerly Ghana Telecom, is the national telecommunications company of Ghana. In 2006, it had around 400,000 customers for fixed and mobile telephony and Internet services.
On 3 August 2008 it was announced that Vodafone had agreed to acquire 70% of Ghana Telecom from the Ghanaian government at a cost of US$900 million and a total enterprise value of approximately US$1.3 billion. After the transaction closed, Vodafone had a 70% stake in the company, while the Ghanaian government retained a 30% stake. The sale was supported by President John Agyekum Kufuor but strongly opposed by the opposition party which would win the presidential elections a few months later. The new president John Atta Mills, head of the National Democratic Congress party (NDC) also launched an investigation into the deal after being elected president a claiming that the government “did not get value for money”. Despite these claims Vodafone a few months later would write down the value of its stake in Ghana Telecom by £250m as the economic climate worsened, damaging the business’s prospects.
- Support the audit function to give the Local & Group Boards and Management, risk based independent assurance of the effectiveness of the Vodafone Ghana’s internal controls.
- Support the delivery of risk based audit activities (operational and technology) to identify potential control weaknesses and make recommendations to mitigate related key risks.
- Provide value add insights to provide business and drives positive change in control environment
- Build and maintain communications with the community of auditors within the Group Internal Audit
Job Title: Senior Internal Auditor
Impact on the business – Identify and report on significant control weaknesses
- Undertaking audits inside and outside own territory in accordance with the Vodafone Group IA guidelines and in line with the IA Methodology:
- Support and challenge the business to effectively identify, manage and report on operational and IT business risk, including ensuring that committees and governance structures are functioning effectively
- Assist in ensuring the control environment is sustainably satisfactory by continuous monitoring and offering other ways to achieve this
- Maintain accurate records to support and satisfy audit trails
- Record and report project milestones in accordance with audit guidelines
- Identify, analyse, evaluate and record sufficient information to achieve the audit’s objectives
- Ensure sufficient evidence in audit working papers and file
- Understand and assess the risk profile of relevant processes
- Exercises appropriate judgment when quantifying the significance of risks and the effectiveness of compensating or mitigating controls
- Identify and communicate apparent failures in control framework within processes
- Determine control frameworks that manage risk profiles through interview and testing
- Collaborate with colleagues and external auditors to support audit requirements
- Lead special projects on request of senior management
- Ensure that the internal audit activity maintains its independence and objectivity
Leadership and teamwork – Assist the Audit Manager in any matters relevant to run the cluster IA team
- Undertake any activities related to running the local audit function
- Support audit planning process by assessing PRM areas to identify impact/likelihood of high risk areas
- Advise the business on compliance and policy issues.
- Support quick and efficient integration of new employees by training/coaching on the job
- Develop and conduct training for new employees locally and in co-operation with other parties of the audit community
Enable the Group to satisfy the Corporate Governance requirements of the various regulatory authorities on whose exchanges the Group’s shares are listed
- Support the company by complying with Governance requirements :
- Take part in Key Control Questionnaire programme (Review and Recommend)
- Assist in preparing the Audit Committee report and be able to assist the Audit Manager to facilitate Audit Committee meetings
- Help develop and maintain a strong working relationship with the external auditors
Undertake activities to ensure that high risk areas are subject to greater focus than low risk areas
- Interact with management to ascertain progress of the improvement activities defined according to auditing results.
- Coordinate issue tracking activities within the team, including keeping audit database up-to-date
- Provide timely and appropriate feedback on outstanding issues to be reported to Exco and the Audit Committee
- Provide periodic updates on the status of the outstanding audit findings
- Finance and/or accounting / or equivalent qualification (university or college)
- ACCA, CISA,CIA or similar qualification
- Qualified accountant or CISA qualified with 3- 5 year post qualification experience
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to influence people positive change – sell benefits so people want to change
- Confident and comfortable dealing with senior leadership