The Tax Manager, Africa, will assume responsibility in Africa for tax reporting, tax audits and transfer pricing. In addition, the candidate will provide support to the International Tax Director responsible for Planning & Optimisation on strategic projects/opportunities.
The role will be based in one of Welltec’s offices in Africa but the final destination is open for negotiation. Welltec currently has offices in Algeria, Angola, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana and Nigeria.
Job Title: Tax Manager
The primary responsibilities for the role are set out below. The candidate should be prepared to be flexible and will be expected to travel frequently to support with tax authority negotiations or to support strategic initiatives within tax/finance. The successful candidate will also be expected to travel to Switzerland on a periodic basis to meet with the International Tax team in Zug.
- Manage the direct and indirect tax compliance process in all African countries. The candidate will be expected to work alongside local finance teams and Welltec’s global outsourced tax compliance provider to ensure all monthly / annual tax filings are completed on time and in compliance with local laws
- Complete quarterly and annual tax reporting packages for all African countries for the purposes of group reporting. This will require close collaboration with local finance managers and the International Tax Director
- Take local responsibility for all African tax authority audits. This shall include meeting with local tax inspectors, preparation / review of information submitted and collaborating with the International Tax team
- To support with the rollout in Africa of group tax initiatives
- Supporting the International Tax Director in the preparation and update of transfer pricing documentation in Africa. This will include local files, input into the Master file and support in functional analysis
- Reviewing internal and external payments to ensure correct application of domestic tax laws i.e. WHT, VAT, duties, etc
- Researching Double Tax Treaties and ensuring relevant applications are made on a timely basis to avoid unnecessary deductions
- Participate in regular tax calls as well as regularly meeting with tax / finance in order to recommend and effect corporate structural changes
- Support in the review of project contracts, bids and tenders, in particular assessing business needs in new locations and considering the compliance / tax registration implications
- Assistance with drafting and negotiating tax clauses in service and supply contracts
- Monitor changes / developments in local tax laws, ensuring appropriate action is taken to ensure Welltec remains compliant
- Pro-actively bring new tax initiatives in the region to the attention of the International Tax Director
- Assisting with other ad hoc advisory and project work, as required
The preferred candidate has the following experience, skills and personal qualities:
- 5+ years in corporate tax, with some exposure to international tax
- At least 3 years experience within Big 4 (or comparable audit firm)
- Practical experience across a number of African tax regimes is required. Experience in the following regimes is particularly desirable – Angola, Algeria, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana and Nigeria
- Experience of communicating and negotiating with tax authorities in Africa
- Experienced in IFRS financial reporting – especially IAS12 and IAS37
- Must be fluent in French and English (Portuguese would be an advantage)
- At least one of either: a recognised accounting qualification; CTA; ADIT; or Legal Qualification in Taxation
- VAT and Personal tax experience
- In house experience with a European or US headquartered group
- Excellent communicator
- Able to take initiative
- Team player
- Able to manage and prioritise a diverse portfolio of tasks / responsibilities
- Flexibility and ability to work to deadlines.
Closing Date : 9th March, 2020