Posted on :
28 Feb, 2022
28 Feb, 2022
The West African Health Organization (WAHO) is the health institution of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) charged with leadership and coordination of health improvement programs across the ECOWAS region. WAHO is seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the underlisted vacant position
Job Title: Research Applications – Industry & Third Sector Programme Officer
Under the supervision of the Principal Professional Officer, Research and Grants, The Programme Officer, Research Applications – Industry & Third Sector shall be responsible for the linkage of WAHO with the Industries and third sector on the following aspects:
• development and implementation of regional research programs in WAHO’s areas of interest,
• development and the implementation of regional research capacities strengthening and dissemination, synthesizing and translation of the research results into policy and practices.
Role and Responsibilities
The incumbent shall be engaged at regional level on:
• Assess the research development needs and the third sector research needs at regional level,
• Analyse the determinants of third sector research programs success.
• Assess the implementation of research development and the third sector programs,
• Investigate the occurrence of drug effects,
• Strengthen regional pharmacovigilance,
• Advocate for research development programs in collaboration with industries,
• Identify research development priorities in the third sector,
• Develop a database of actors in research development and research in third sector,
• Build inter-sectoral action to support research development or research in the third sector,
• Develop and implement research development programs in the third sector in collaboration with all stakeholders.
• Document research development and research in third sector evidence and transform these into policies and practices.
• Provide quality assurance mechanisms on research development programs or research programs in third sector
• Take a lead role in regional research development or research in third sector.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or Pharmacy or Public Health or Medical Science or any of the Allied Health Sciences from a recognised university.
• 5 to 7 years of professional experience in management and implementation of public health programs on Non-Epidemic Diseases & Neglected Tropical Diseases, particularly Malaria and in the implementation of public health programs involving test and research laboratories,
• knowledge of the health needs, health policies and related laboratory work environment in the ECOWAS member States;
JOB DESCRIPTION JOB CODE:
• ability to investigate the occurrence of health effects and health hazards, strengthen disease surveillance, disease prevention, control and notification and analyse the determinants of identified health needs.
• Knowledge of the International Health Regulations, the epidemiology of infectious diseases and other threats to regional health security, as well as issues and practices related to disease prevention and control in the West African region.
• Knowledge and understanding of the policies and procedures on Non-Epidemic Diseases & Neglected Tropical Diseases and in implementation of public health strategies on Non-Epidemic Diseases & Neglected Tropical Diseases, particularly Malaria,
• Demonstrated knowledge of WAHO mandates and operations in the areas of public health, epidemiology, Tuberculosis, HIV and other communicable disease prevention and control strategies and programmes.
• Knowledge of problems and needs in the pharmaceutical sector at country and regional levels, and the ability to develop suggestions for resolving pharmaceutical challenges;
• Ability to develop programs to support local pharmaceutical manufacturers to upgrade their facilities to attain GMP/WHO standards;
• Knowledge the principles and practice of public health management in the ECOWAS region, and proven ability to conduct Research Development or research with the third sector in West Africa.
ECOWAS Key Competencies
• ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
• ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
• ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
• ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
• ability to utilize the Code of Ethics to manage self, others, information and resources;
• ability to mentor others and create feedback loops with supervisors, colleagues and the subordinates to build strong working relationships and improve performance;
• contribute to maintaining the organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.