The World Bank Country Office in Accra, Ghana is seeking a highly organized and energized professional, capable of operating effectively in a very demanding, fast-paced and culturally diverse environment, to work as a Driver. The Driver will be a member of the Country Office staff recruited locally and based in Accra. For day-to-day assignments and responsibilities, the Driver reports to the Resource Management Officer based in the Country Office.The Driver will work as part of the Country Office carpool, and will drive office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel, usually within Accra but also to other locations on the field; and the delivery and collection of mail, documents, pouches, and other errands.Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Job Title: Drivers
Duties And Accountabilities
To perform according to expectations, the incumbent would be expected to:
- Transport authorized personnel to/from airports, meetings/appointments, and other official duties, including business travel to/from locations throughout Accra.
- Drive the assigned office vehicles, ensuring the safety of staff and/or authorized passengers, vehicle and other road users, for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items, and meet any other transportation requirements.
- Meet official personnel, including mission staff at the airport and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, checks oil, water, battery, brakes, tires etc.,
- Perform minor routine repairs, and be responsible for maintenance and cleanliness of the vehicle, including arranging for other vehicle repairs as per prevailing procedure.
- Ensure that the vehicle is always clean (interior and exterior, including safety belts) and assist or ensure that all passengers have fastened safety belts.
- Ensure that the vehicle is equipped with First Aid kit and that he/she is trained in providing first aid. Check expiry date for consumables in the kit and seek replacement as appropriate.
- Log official trips as per the World Bank’s policies, including daily mileage, fuel consumption, oil changes etc.
- Ensure that the vehicle’s documentation is always current, including display of current insurance cover at all times.
- Observe the host country’s traffic rules and regulations.
- Always check and adhere to security information from the supervisor, UNDSS or the environment for safe drive within and outside the cities.
- Maintain confidentiality of any passenger’s discussions or phone conversations.
- Report accidents or incidents immediately to the supervisor and ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities.
- Arrange a timely distribution of incoming and outgoing mails from/to the Bank clients as well as internal recipients; record official letter dispatches by keeping a detailed log.
- Perform any other task assigned by the Country Director and/or supervisor.
- Secondary school Education Diploma or Equivalent with basic computer skills.
- Valid Driver’s License and capable of Defensive Driving;
- Thorough knowledge of driving rules and regulations and be conversant with the Road Security Code.
- A minimum of 5 years’ professional driving experience with a safe driving record.
- Proficient to effectively communicate in English (verbal and written). .
- Possess basic skills in minor vehicle repairs and maintenance. Vocational training in auto maintenance and repair would be a plus.
- Knowledge of UN system security procedures and protocol aspects will be an added advantage.
- Ability to pass World Bank security clearance, medical test, UNDSS basic and advanced security clearance examinations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, client orientation and a commitment to team-oriented work.