Purpose of the Position
The overall goal of the position is to oversee the growth of non-sponsorship income for World Vision Ghana. As team leader, the position is instrumental in developing and implementing the office’s resource development strategy, advocating for the resources required to implement the strategy, and building the capacity of the office in resource development and management.
Job Title: Resource Acquisition Manager
This position is a critical role and key to the National Office, the individual should be able to lead the roll out of the National Office Resource Development Strategy in alignment with Our Promise. As such, the core mandate of this position includes:
- To lead and manage the National Office Resource Development Unit to drive growth and diversification of grant income (bilateral, multilateral, foundations, GIK non-food items) and Local Resource Mobilization in accordance with the National Office Resource Development Strategy.
- To position World Vision Ghana and ensure productive engagement and retention of grant donors (public and private), through successful grants implementation, effective communication of the impact of grants and strong relationships with partners, institutions, Support Offices and donors
- To build the capacity of World Vision Ghana in Grants and Private Non Sponsorship (PNS) acquisitions, partnership building with diverse donors and key stakeholders, in the capacity of sector/project staff in the areas of development, proposal writing/design, compliance with donor regulations and project start up and overall project management quality assurance.
To lead and manage the establishment of Local Resource Mobilisation for the National office by tapping into a varied number of available resources available in country (Foundations, Corporate, Church, the diaspora, highly networked individuals, the public and the government).
- To provide support to the World Vision Ghana Board through the Local Resource Mobilisation Board Committee. This would entail preparing quarterly Resource Acquisition pre-reads for the committee, attending committee meeting, taking notes, preparing committee meeting minutes and representing World Vision Ghana’s Senior Leadership Team through the committee.
Strategy and Leadership:
- Lead the revision and roll out of the National Office grants acquisition and management strategy/Business Plan (for both public and private) in alignment with National Office strategy and targets.
- Give strategic direction to the office so that it remains innovative and responsive to changes in the business environment.
- Identify, market opportunities and monitor donor trends and for growing grant funding from governments and multilaterals.
- Guide the national office in prioritizing and planning the capacities needed for resource development
- Provide day to day leadership and management to ensure timely and efficient support for prepositioning, proposal development and effective issue resolution in grant performance across National Office/Support Office as needed
External Engagement, Donor Identification, Pre-Positioning and Networking
- Track the donor landscape (research, analyse, develop, track relationships with new and current donors) to organize prepositioning meetings with donors and key partners.
- Actively engage and participate in strategic in country donor and partner meetings
- Build and strengthen networks and partnerships with prioritized stakeholders (Support Offices, key NGOs and government departments) to improve learning, influence, competitiveness, and visibility.
- Ensure that the National Office Resource Development Unit team work in collaboration with Support Offices’ grant teams and Regional Development Unit, to actively maintain strong donor relationships at global, regional and country level, developing engagement strategies for each donor or a group of donors
- Oversee the implementation of donor engagement plans by maintaining an up-to-date record of the requirements of current potential donors and being proactive in the lookout and co-creation for local, regional, and global opportunities.
- Represent World Vision in external meetings with key donors. Lead the preparation for senior level meetings with target donors
- To ensure appropriate representation of the National Office at a strategic forum that could lead to resource acquisition and enhanced programming collaboration.
- Represent the National Office in the grants community for (internal and external to World Vision)
- Participate in donor led working groups, conferences and meetings
Local Resource Mobilisation and Board Engagement
- Establish an efficient grant opportunity tracking system for tracking grant opportunities and manage opportunity pipeline maintaining an overview of country level grant funding opportunities and donor trends.
- Support the NOs in the development of consortia
- Ensure the appropriate use of the Grants Risk Assessment Form to facilitate the Go/No Go Decision
- Lead cross-functional teams to plan, prepare, and execute processes to ensure timely submission of high quality proposals that are responsive to donor requirements and World Vision’s technical and cost standards.
- Oversee the development and implementation of standards, guidelines and approaches for quality business development and monitor compliance.
- Work closely with Technical Programme Managers/Leads Programme Effectiveness, Finance, Support Office, and other staff to develop proposals and funding pipelines
- Provide strategic direction to NO to pursue non-traditional funding sources, identifying emerging or untapped high potential donors and new emerging models.
- Support the development and implementation of marketing strategies and materials for resource development
Capacity Building and Staff Management
- Lead and develop RAM staff towards improved performance, collaboration, and innovativeness
- Ensure all NO staff involved in grants, including the position holder have completed and are Proposal pro certified.
- Ensure individuals’ performance and development needs are met, and employees are high performing and engaged.
- Conduct all required performance management processes for RAM staff including partnering for performance and regular meetings
- Oversee the training and mentoring of staff, to improve their skills in proposal development, external engagement, positioning and marketing.
- Identify capacity gaps at NOs in grants acquisition and management
- Develop a strong successor to be able to take up increasing grant management responsibility.
- Ensure that reports and other deliverables required by WARO and global Centres is submitted in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as required by Management
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline such as development studies, education, health, or management
- At least 5 years’ experience in developing and writing program/project proposals and three years’ experience in leading proposal development
- Strong analytical skill and problem solving abilities
- Excellent interpersonal communication skill and ability to work closely and supportively within teams.
- Experienced networker with strong skills in donor relations, negotiations and partnering with up to date knowledge of the donor landscape and trends in “middle income countries”.
- Strong spoken and written English.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and tasks and stakeholder expectations.
- Strong inter-personal skills, and proven team-player.
- Able to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment.
- Able to work in a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
- A results oriented leader with the ability to handle a heavy work load, manage multiple organizational, donor and other stakeholder demands.
- Ability to provide spiritual leadership to the team.
- Computer literate
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
Working Environment / Conditions:
- Work environment: Office-based with frequent travel to the field