The Director, Talent Management, is responsible for leading and delivering an integrated global talent management strategy supporting Our Promise ‘people’ requirements focusing on both the organizational needs and individual perspectives. Key responsibilities of this role include: understanding external trends, current internal workforce capabilities and delivering talent management models and ‘people’ pipelines for the implementation waves of, and enabling, strategic connections between Our Promise initiatives (i.e. 1-3 years, 5-10 years and Fragile, Transitioning Economies, Responses and Development Offices), workforce planning, and organisational design. This will ensure that executive/senior leadership positions are defined and this group of globally diverse individuals is identified, assessed, developed, monitored and managed.
This role will also ensure staff are living out our core competencies and modeling our mindsets and behaviors for placement into leadership roles driving maximum talent effectiveness and efficiencies, as well as building the organization and its sustainability. Another important aspect of this role, is actively influencing managers to own their talent activities, including, but not limited to, talent-related risk and driving the integrated talent management cycle.
Job Title: Director, Talent Management
Leads the globally integrated talent management strategy including succession planning process across the partnership.
Responsible for delivering on ‘best in class’ integrated talent management strategy, working plans, and practices across the Partnership. Works closely with Executive/Senior Leaders and P&C leaders to ensure implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the strategy through the following:
- Fulfills WVI Board requirements for integrated Partnership Talent Management Strategy including Succession Planning for the key leadership positions’ – delivery and presentation to International President/CEO and WVI Board and prepare executive and Board reporting and materials as needed.
- Creates the ‘talent story’ through interpreting external trends (looking at the future), understanding current workforce analysis and interpreting/sharing this data to build out future pipelines for leadership positions that other departments need to deliver on (i.e. sourcing and recruiting, leadership development and capacity building).
- In collaboration with Leadership Development, influence’s talent approaches, products and standards utilized across the Partnership. This includes but not limited to: effective creating, influencing, engaging, monitoring with and reporting on career development activities. Meeting with key leaders to find out their organization’s talent aspirations (e.g. interests, mobility, strengths and gaps).
- Effectively engages and influences senior leaders to facilitate staff movement/development and talent identification conversation for leadership roles.
- Creates new pools of leadership talent from a Partnership approach by identifying and determining ‘next level or generation’ leaders specifically aligned to and support of Our Promise – including new pools for Fragile, Transitioning Economies and Marketing/Fundraising for offices.
- Ensures that tools, practices, and the work across the Integrated Talent Management portfolio are aligned, coordinated and happening – leveraging connections across Leadership Recruitment, Leadership Development, Performance Management, and Organization Development.
- Supports the talent review processes across the organization, providing guidance to line leaders to submit timely and accurate Succession Plans for annual WVI Board reporting.
- Creates a job matrix/’career path’ for key leadership positions in order to clearly identify feeder positions. This includes job competencies, mindsets, and behaviors supporting Our Promise and based on validated talent data.
- In collaboration with the Leadership Development portfolio, establish high potential profile talent identification, assessment, and development.
- Inputs and uses the Our People Succession Planning tool to allow for optimal talent analytics, planning, and review.
- Identifies new talent approaches and continual improvement in the quality of information on ‘talent/people’ for the Partnership.
Leadership Career Coaching:
- Implements robust, timely and on-going conversations with line leaders in supporting and ‘owning’ their various leader’s talent activities and development. Sharing of information about how and where their talent is showing up in other places (i.e. through recruitment, participation in internal meetings, talent pools, SLDP, GLO) and supporting them to have meaningful career conversations with their staff – ensure the understanding that they have responsibility for their people.
- Support P&C and line leaders to engage and understand coaching as a development tool.
Talent and Succession Forum:
- Leads the Talent and Succession forum. This forum will ensure deeper, broader and more integrated approach to leadership talent identification and sharing, (i.e. talent spotting, mapping and talent exchanges – after each GLO, SLDP exchange of insights and data on talent), understanding partnership trends, proactively recommending talent for open positions and career planning/discussions across the partnership. Initially launched for the SMT level roles, and then identifying and moving into ‘next generation’ leaders for long term organization sustainability (time frame to be agreed upon).
- Monitors leadership talent (GL 18+) to build out talent awareness, profiles/plans, and recommendations for next development steps (part of talent career management).
- Drives talent exchanges and data sharing with P&C BPs in the GC, Support and Regional offices to open up talent conversations and break down silos – encouraging a ‘one partnership’ approach to leadership talent management.
- Participates in various P&C cross-functional projects as needed.
- Willingness to lead and attend devotional activities and Day of Prayer.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 10+ years’ experience providing People & Culture (HR) experience, consulting or coaching to executive and senior leaders with significant experience in roles with a global organization.
- Critical need for influencing skills working with executive and senior leaders – exhibits proven experience and success in this area (C-suite).
- Understanding of World Vision’s ministry, National and Support offices focusing on key people/business integration and intersection points.
- Successful ability to work through, and in ambiguous and continuously changing environments.
- Highly results-oriented in strategy delivery through influence.
- Broad HR experience to be able to make linkages between talent and succession planning and broader people and culture agenda, as well as the organizational strategy.
- Highly developed commercial and/or business analysis skills – the ability to create ‘meaningful stories’ from various data points for decision-making purposes and delivery of these outcomes.
- Prior people management experience.
- Must understand the NGO context and the skills and experiences beyond the P&C remit for talent to achieve their potential within WV.
- Strong project management capabilities. Proven collaborator, coupled with experience in indirect leadership of teams and virtual teams to achieve strategic agenda.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and influence effectively across cultures and all levels of the organization Demonstrated expertise in building and maintaining strong, productive and mutually beneficial professional networks.
- Deep understanding of organizational infrastructure, P&C strategic direction, People and OD practice challenges, trends and best practice within this industry and professional services type organizations.
- A clear understanding of integrated talent management, succession planning, and coaching skills with evidence of effective application across international contexts and cultures.
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal, influencing and communication skills, especially with credibility at senior executive levels (C-suite), and capacity to adapt effectively across WV’s different operating units.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, both oral and written, and ability to convey information effectively, write persuasively in a variety of styles for a variety of audiences, and communicate cross-culturally and within inter-faith settings.
- Able to develop and maintain professional relationships (internally and externally) at all leadership levels.
- Deep understanding and expertise in adult learning and development and organizational application of learning.
- Strong understanding of organizational politics and the demonstrated ability to navigate successfully within the same
- Highly developed and successful consultancy and influence skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English (additional languages desirable) including Board paper writing and presenting to senior leaders.
- Master’s Degree highly desirable.
- Clear and positive Christian faith commitment and capacity to provide leadership and guidance in this area, and to ensure WV’s Christian identity is woven into the work delivered.
- Humility to be led by others, strength and confidence to provide strong leadership when required; wisdom to recognize when each is needed and the ability to help others do the same.
- Proven track record of designing & delivering HR solutions for a global audience.
- Consulting skills, client relationship skills, customer service orientation and ministry mindset.
- Gravitas and influencing skills.
- Willingness, capability, and flexibility to travel internationally to address key client needs.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a globally dispersed virtual team.
- Other operating languages will be a bonus e.g. French or Spanish.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time with a period of peak travel to align to organizational needs.
- Capacity to work virtually requiring flexibility in working hours over the range of WV time zones.