WorldCover sells crop insurance to farmers in the developing world, starting with Ghana. We use remote sensing and data science to create a simple and affordable insurance product to protect farmers from drought. Our insurance policies are funded by investors through a marketplace model so we don’t directly take risk for payouts. We are a for-profit Public Benefit Corporation headquartered in New York City, backed by global venture capital investors and Combination. Our mission is to help families and small businesses manage risk from natural disasters so they can invest profitably and build a better future. We have significant traction in Ghana and are looking to grow there and additional markets in the next year.An exceptional professional to grow and coordinate WorldCover’s field team in Brong Ahafo region (BA).
Job Title: Regional Coordinator
WorldCover is seeking a talented Regional Coordinator to lead our growth in the Brong Ahafo (BA) Region. (We operate in several regions). You will be accountable for all WorldCover goals and objectives for BA, including registered and paid customer targets, budgets, and cost / efficiency metrics.
Your responsibilities include:
- Hiring and organizing supporting staff (both salaried and contract workers) to aid in the achievement of company goals in BA
- Prioritizing, planning, and managing activities of support staff in BA
- Developing a customer and partner network in BA
- Creating new and executing all processes required for achieving goals in BA, including sales, marketing, customer service.
- Verifying, controlling, and assuring high quality work product for all staff in BA
- Communicating frequently and clearly with WorldCover management (based locally and internationally) and central operations in Tamale. Prioritize problems to be solved and productively working toward solutions in order to minimize management time required.
- Collecting and organizing data from customers and field activities
- Becoming an expert on the WorldCover product
- Field visits to directly market, sell, and service the product; as well as to conduct experiments, surveys, and research projects; and to solve challenges that you, the staff, or our customers may have.
Essential to this position is context and experience with our target market:
- You have lived in Ghana, preferably in the Brong Ahafo Region for several years
- You have worked with smallholder farmers
- You have a large network of agricultural stakeholders in the BA
Equally important is raw intelligence and capability, strong empathy for farmers, energy, creativity, and a strong interest in rural (agricultural) development.
Not important is experience with our particular product area: insurance.
Candidates who are strong in many of the following value areas are encouraged to apply:
- Entrepreneurial: you require minimal direct supervision and management. With a small amount of guidance and a general mandate from management, you are able to generate and pursue new ideas quickly and efficiently.
- Creative and resourceful: when faced with a problem, you are able to generate a long list of potential solutions, many of which are not obvious to others, or which have never been tried before. You think “outside the box” and can build up solutions from “first principles” rather than matching solutions to existing patterns that work in other contexts.
- Leadership: you lead by example and motivate others around you. You set clear and concise goals, have a thorough understanding of everyone’s strengths and weaknesses, and know which levers to pull to achieve the results you desire for you and your team.
- Well organized: you create plans and execute them. You keep a task list and follow through. You organize your notes and files for easy access. You can manage and track complex processes and teams. You minimize errors.
- Comfortable with data: you are comfortable working with rapidly changing data and utilizing feedback to make conclusions about the results of experiments.
- Humble: you seek help without hesitation when you need it and are aware of the limits of your own knowledge. You like to gather insights and advice from a variety of sources and can utilize disparate opinions in order to come to decisive and effective action.
- Language: your written and verbal English communication is clear, professional, and error-free. You speak Twi fluently.
- Technology: you are extremely comfortable with Slack, WhatsApp, Google Docs, and email. You are responsive and able to communicate frequently with a global team. You are extremely proficient at spreadsheet tools (Excel, Google Sheets). A plus if you have experience with programmatic data analysis tools like R, SAS, Stata, or Python.