Worldreader is seeking an experienced instructional designer to develop an engaging and impactful learning journey and aligned content for our partners and readers. You will join the organization with the launch of its new 2025 strategy, building digital reading solutions to enable 5 million more children to become avid readers. This position offers the right candidate an exciting opportunity to deliver transformative impact at scale, with a dynamic organization committed to empowering more readers to build a better world.
As the Senior Manager of Instructional Design you will lead Worldreader’s approach to blended (traditional and digital) training and learning that builds the capability of partners and users to engage in a digital reading solution. You are high-energy, results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. S/he will ensure the integration of Worldreader’s core impact goals and values.
This position reports to the Senior Director, Global Impact and is preferably based in Accra, Ghana or Nairobi, Kenya.
Job Title: Senior Manager, Instructional Design
- Design and deploy a training and learning journey for Worldreader partners globally to prepare them in leveraging our digital learning platform BookSmart
- Utilize instructional design principles and innovative strategies in the conception, design and development of learning assets
- Create and design engaging digital and in-person learning material for our partners, communities, and parents to help drive digital reading engagement
- Create and design curriculum that supports learning for teachers, facilitators, and parents
- Work with regional teams to identify and design training that targets specific user needs
- Apply tested instructional design theories and methodologies
- Create exercises and activities to enhance the learning process
- Visualize instructional graphics and create supporting materials and media (such as video, graphics, audio, etc.) to facilitate learning
- State end goals and create content that matches them
- Work with M&E colleagues to develop assessments of the effectiveness of the learning materials and adapt as needed to reach intended results
- Conduct regular learning sessions and training with regional program staff to better understand the learning needs in their context and build their training capacities
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree or certificates in Instructional design, Education, Educational Technology, Learning Science, or similar
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience in Instructional Design, E-Learning, and Human Centered Design approaches
- Must have demonstrated experience designing and developing for various modalities and formats (digital, classroom, virtual, blended, simulation, social/collaborative, infographics and supporting guides), have prior knowledge of designing interactive learning interventions and performance support tools, as well as creating detailed storyboards
- Excellent knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models
- The ability to create immersive, creative digital and in-person training for learners in low resource communities
- Experience developing reading and literacy curriculum for school, home and hybrid settings
- Solid audio & video editing skills and nice to have animation or gamification experience
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills. Proficiency in Spanish, Hindi, or Kiswahili is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact and build rapport externally and internally with functional experts and senior leaders to support business strategy
- Excellent organizational, communications, relationship building and project management skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines, manage heavy workloads and prioritize tasks
- Strong commitment to Worldreader’s mission and values
Worldreader is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from persons with disabilities, women, and other underrepresented applicants.