Posted on :
28 Oct, 2013
28 Oct, 2013
WSUP is a non-profit partnership between the private sector, NGOs and research institutions focused on solving the global problem of inadequate water and sanitation in low-income urban communities.
WSUP brings lasting solutions to low-income areas by working in partnership with service providers including water utilities, local authorities and businesses, and the communities they serve.
WSUP strengthens the capacity of service providers to deliver sustainable city-wide water and sanitation services, promote good hygiene and raise the environmental standards of low income communities.
WSUP achieves this through supporting the adoption and replication of effective, sustainable and scalable models and institutional capacity development for pro-poor urban water and sanitation services by service providers and/or national governments. Additionally, WSUP empowers service providers to mobilise investment finance for pro-poor service scale-up and promotes successful approaches globally. WSUP has a Country Programme office in Kumasi, with key focus on project sites in Kumasi and Accra.
• Job Title: Project Manager Kumasi
• Programme: WSUP Ghana
• Reporting To: Country Programme Manager (CPM)
• Base: Kumasi
• Contacts: Internal
1) Programme Director (PD)
2) Country Programme Manager
3) Project Officer Community Development
4) Project Officer Sanitation & Hygiene
• Contacts: External
The purpose of the Project Manager Kumasi role is to provide support to the WUSP Country Project Manager in order to ensure that all aspects of the implementation of the project supported by WSUP proceed in a coordinated, efficient and timely manner in accordance with the agreed programme and budget.
• Support the CPM to plan and implement the water, sanitation and hygiene activities set out in the WSUP programme and to achieve the given targets within the allocated resources and time frame.
• Deliver the project objectives for Kumasi, managing local procurement tasks and the recruitment of sub-consultants and sub-contractors, preparing and monitoring Task Orders and Consultancy Agreements.
• Assist the CPM in the coordination of project partners including government, civil society, private sector.
• Facilitate the design and formation of context based management models for service delivery to low income consumers.
• Work in partnership with local service providers in the implementation of service improvements.
• Identify capacity needs of service providers, institutions and other management structures involved in service delivery and coordinate the delivery of capacity development to address the gaps
• Ensure adequate post construction O & M support is in place for the institutional structures put in place to support service delivery.
• Facilitate the development of forms of agreement between service providers and others to ensure the sustainability of the relevant management models.
• Prepare and submit activity and financial reports to CPM on project implementation.
• Assist with the documentation and sharing of learning and best practices with project stakeholders, liaising with the WSUP M&E Manager and Communications Officer.
• Assist the CPM and PD with the financial management and monitoring of the Ghana programme.
• Provide quality assurance for all design, construction and maintenance processes in accordance with the programme standards, and routinely suggest improvements to ensure high quality standards and cost effectiveness.
• Ensure compliance of all legal, health, safety and environmental requirements of WSUP projects’ construction activities in Ghana in accordance to all internal, national and international standards.
• Supervise WSUP Project Officers.
• Undertake any other project-related tasks that shall be assigned by the CPM.
Qualification Required & Experience
• A minimum of Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent qualification, in civil or construction or environmental health engineering with strong understanding of development project management is a mandatory educational and experiential requirement.
• A minimum of 7 years of demonstrable competence and experience in integrated/community-based, water supply and sanitation improvement projects for international development organisations. Experience in low income urban WASH is an added advantage.
• Demonstrable experience of construction contract management and contractual adherence to national and international standards.
• Proven experience of 2 years working in a project management role, with a track record of success in achieving results.
• Excellent computer skills, with an understanding of MS Project, Engineering and GIS software desirable.
• Should be a team player, driven by own initiative, good communicator and have ability to work under minimum supervision
• Some experience working in a commercially oriented water utility desirable.
• Leadership and inter-personal skills.
• Ability to work effectively within a small, multi-disciplinary programme team and to liaise with institutional partners, consultants, contractors, community representatives and local politicians.
• Motivated by the mission of WSUP.
• Good written and spoken English is essential. Ability to speak Twi would be desirable.
How To Apply For The Job
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated, ambitious and highly motivated professional available almost immediately. If you meet the above requirements, please send a completed application form and details of your current salary to:
Closing Date: 11 November, 2013
• We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
• WSUP is an equal opportunities employer